Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to pull the trigger, I NEED a trailer.

I have found a 3/4 ton military trailer, that is in great condition but the seller says "the trailer is already @ 1300 pounds empty. it looks as though the FJ has a tow cap of 5000" and that I ma yneed a lighter weight utility trailer.

What are your thoughts? I will be carrying bikes, camping stuff, and kayaks.

Is the M116A2 too much, too big price for what I get: 5X6 box? too much weight? overkill?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I am ready to pull the trigger, I NEED a trailer.

I have found a 3/4 ton military trailer, that is in great condition but the seller says "the trailer is already @ 1300 pounds empty. it looks as though the FJ has a tow cap of 5000" and that I ma yneed a lighter weight utility trailer.

What are your thoughts? I will be carrying bikes, camping stuff, and kayaks.

Is the M116A2 too much, too big price for what I get: 5X6 box? too much weight? overkill?
Yes to all. The 3/4 ton is way to heavy. You only have 500 lbs. of tongue weight.:cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dang...not what I wanted to hear....what kind of problems do the other Fj's pulling the M101 trailers have?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
1300 LBS is not at all excessive to pull with an FJ but tongue weight would be too high at 500 lbs but it should not be that high. trailers are designed to have tongue weight around 10-15% of total so 130-190 would be expected. But really it would depend so much on how you load it and how you use it. I'd say its both too heavy and big as a basis for a off-road trailer like an A/T. When off-road you are not just pulling X amount of weight. Rather your straining the FJ to pull that weight over rocks and steep terrain that really multplies the effort required. Now if your never go beyond mild dirt roads and keep the load low it should be no worries.

Ever notice that Mario of Adventure Trailers pulls with a big honking 360 V-8 in his Jeep Honcho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts