Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a small ( 18ft) toy hauler to take my dirtbike to the races with and camp in. I am estimating that loaded and with water tanks filled,ect, it will weigh around 4500lbs. I know our tow rating is 5000lbs. I was wondering if you guys with towing expierence can tell me does the FJ really have enough power to pull that kind of weight?? Espically up and down the mountains of West Virginia??? Also what should I expect to see as far has fuel mileage? Thanks in advanced!!

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I can tell you that my FJ kicks butt towing trailers all over the mountains in California. The hardest thing is to keep it within the legal speed limit (for towing) because it want's to go 80mph. I don't know if you have a 6 sp/MT or an automatic. The AWD M/T is incredibly able-n-stable when powering thru mountain twisties.

·
fka Memphibious FJ
1,470 Posts
Naturally, you are going to see a reduction in MPG. I have personally towed 6000lbs. with my FJ, although it was for about a 5 hour drive, I don't recommend doing that regularly. I have also towed around the 4500lb. mark and the FJ seemed to cruise quite well on the highway with no problems.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I recently towed a big U-haul trailer (about 4000 gross I estimate) with no problems at all. Smooth sailing all the way and zero fish tailing. The trick is to balance the load and do not exceed 500 lbs tongue weight. Gas mileage was much worse than usual, but did not calculate the mpg so I can't say exactly what it was. Had to apply a lot more pedal at cruising speed. That was expected as was the lower gas mileage. Pulled like a dream compared to other vehicles I have used for similar hauling.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think the truck has plenty of power to pull. I'd put a set of electric brakes on the trailer to help stop though. A decent controller for the cab can be had for less than $100.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
5300lb vehicle and 1500lb trailer with electric brakes. Way over limit (one time tow) but it did just fine. Plenty of power.

Balancing the load for correct tongue weight is essential.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the respones. I thought I would need a trailer Brake controller. How do these wire in? under the dash where the plug is? or in the rear? Is there a model that you dont have to splice anything just plug and go? any info would be great, thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think the truck has plenty of power to pull. I'd put a set of electric brakes on the trailer to help stop though. A decent controller for the cab can be had for less than $100.
This is definitely the way to go. I pull a 24' boat and trailer that weighs just over 4300 pounds loaded (without fuel in boat) from OC to Bullhead City, AZ 4-5 times a year and the FJ kicks a$$! We also took it to Lake Shasta in NorCal once and it pulled well through the mountains too.

Brake contorller is a must!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
5300lb vehicle and 1500lb trailer with electric brakes. Way over limit (one time tow) but it did just fine. Plenty of power.

Balancing the load for correct tongue weight is essential.
what the hell happened to that FJ!!!!!

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
the thing about the toy haulers and large enclosed trailers isnt so much the weight. its the huge sides that the wind can put a lot of force on. i pulled a mustang all the way back on our car trailer from san diego with my dads half ton F-150 crew cab. it was a breeze. same thing with my wakeboarding boat, its a breeze behind both vehicles. but my unloaded or loaded 14x7' TPD race trailer will kick the hell out of the heavier truck. its a better trailer than both, but if it gets breezy, it will move the truck pretty damn far.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
NO really... What the hell happened to that FJ!!!!!!!
I think you mean, What the HAIL happened to that FJ? haha

It would appear it got into a wreck with a prius.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I've towed my tractor from MO to TX and it tows like a dream. I'd recommend electric brakes for the trailer and a transmission cooler for the FJ as a preventative against problems.

As asked before... What happened to that FJ?????????????????

cheers,

dale

1 - 18 of 18 Posts