Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
that doesn't surprise me. This year's been really odd. Mostly opposite of what it usually is. We got more snow on the front range rather than the western slope. Believe it or not they reopened Aspen ski mountain for Memorial day weekend.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The western slope has had alot of big late season snow storms, if there is a quick melt off there could be some flooding. Most if not all trails should be open for the summit, there was wisdom in having the summit start a week later in July. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
the Summit is usually the 3rd week in July

·
Registered
350 Posts
Didn't think the snow was a problem down there too.

We've had low snow this year, but big melts up here in the last 2 weeks (Vancouver)- so it has must be warmer in Ouray! We did lose some trail banks in the process though ... :mecry:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The San Juans got a good dusting this year and a lot of it was late in tHe spring.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Must be nice. Our good trails still aren't open :mecry:
Tell me about it - I was all set to run the Rubicon with the TLCA Rubithon this year, but they had to put the date back a month and I couldn't do the new date. :(

On the plus side, I can make The Summit instead. :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just got back from 2 weeks in Ouray and the Ridgway resevoir was about 30 ft. low. Snow melt has been delayed and there was concern that when it did begin to really melt there could be flooding.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
That's been pretty much the story all over Colorado. My small mountain communities are preparing as we speak...hundreds of sand bags.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Bring your shovels to the Summit this year! And maybe an extra sandbags you got laying around.. It's going to be a long brutal summer for a lot of folks this year.

But the news of the trails is outstanding!!

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Tell me about it - I was all set to run the Rubicon with the TLCA Rubithon this year, but they had to put the date back a month and I couldn't do the new date. :(

On the plus side, I can make The Summit instead. :)
Cool. Hope I get to see you again when you're up here.

Just got back from 2 weeks in Ouray and the Ridgway resevoir was about 30 ft. low. Snow melt has been delayed and there was concern that when it did begin to really melt there could be flooding.
Yep. They've been draining the reservoirs all over to get ready for the melt. When we went past Dillon Res. last weekend, they had it down so far that it looked like a drought year....clearly just making room.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Cool. Hope I get to see you again when you're up here.
See you at the Summit for sure Steven. I may end up going to Denver first to see my dad for a few days, but I'll be ahead of your convoy because I'm planning on being in Ouray by Tuesday night. But I'll be so slow in the mountains that you guys might pass me anyway. :)

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
See you at the Summit for sure Steven. I may end up going to Denver first to see my dad for a few days, but I'll be ahead of your convoy because I'm planning on being in Ouray by Tuesday night. But I'll be so slow in the mountains that you guys might pass me anyway. :)
Well, JammerGirl and I will be getting to Ouray on the Sat. before Summit. See you in town, bro.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Month to go.. hows the snow?? When a friend went to Yellowstone last week and reported snow falling in June I started thinking that some of our favorite Ouray trails may be locked down.

Are we gonna make it or do I need to dramatically increase my carbon footprint next week and get this global warming thing rolling?

J

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Month to go.. hows the snow?? When a friend went to Yellowstone last week and reported snow falling in June I started thinking that some of our favorite Ouray trails may be locked down.

Are we gonna make it or do I need to dramatically increase my carbon footprint next week and get this global warming thing rolling?

J
Ouray did not get as much snow this year as summit county. Everything that you see and hear on the new pertains to mostly summit county and the I70 corridor.

The trails around Ouray will be just fine. This side of the hill is another story.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
The trail news is promising and the Summit should be another great time.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I don't know if there is a special arrangement in place (or if there will/may be one in the works at some point; which, if there is or will be, may make this irrelevant), but according to the Ouray website, it sounds like the construction project on the Telluride end of Black Bear will prevent it from being used for any night runs.

I know there aren't any 'official' night runs, but I also know that come people have done Black Bear at night before during Summit week, and I just figured I'd throw this out there in case it matters to anyone making plans.

This is from the same page linked in the OP...

Ouray Colorado :: Jeep Road Conditions

"Black Bear Road (projected start at the end of June) ***PLEASE SEE NOTE BELOW"

"BLACK BEAR ROAD CONSTRUCTION CLOSURES (SUMMER 2011)
The City of Telluride will be doing construction on the end portion of the road this summer to put in a new water line. The road will be closed nightly from 9:00 PM until 10:00 AM the following morning. Please do not travel during this time because you will be stuck at the bottom of the "Stairs" overnight until they reopen the road in the morning. Feel free to contact the Visitor's Center in Ouray at 970.325.4746 for more information on this and other closures."

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts