Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search and I could not find the answer so I'll ask the masses.

So when can I purchase from the Toyota Dealer the ALL BLACK Trails Team Edition Bumper, Grill, Mirrors etc? Would prefer to change the gray stuff on mine now.

I asked the dealer when the TTE first came out but they did not know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
You have to have a TT in order for them to order any parts. They go by the VIN number

·
Registered
547 Posts
you can black that all out yourself, a LOT of us have done it, and it looks great and holds up really well if done right. I blacked out my handles, mirrors, bezel, and bumper wings with about $35 worth of paint and tape. Duplicolor textured black for plastic seems to be the paint of choice. you can do all the silver on the FJ in a day or less depending on how you go about it. there are basically two options, removing it all and painting or leaving it on and masking it REALLY well and then painting. there are multiple threads on here about it, I think the most referenced one was started by Dragon but I could be wrong, he may have started the one about blacking out rims...

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Just do the blacking out your self, its cheap, easy, and simple. Plus it's gonna be hard to try and get the OEM TT parts, and it's probably gonna cost a lot of $$$$$!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just do the blacking out your self, its cheap, easy, and simple. Plus it's gonna be hard to try and get the OEM TT parts, and it's probably gonna cost a lot of $$$$$!
I heard that just the mirrors alone were $480

·
Registered
72 Posts
you can purchase the parts, Call Shannon in Parts at 866-808-7146. He is in Houston Tx and got me the parts I had been looking for. I own a Sandstorm so you don't need the vin unless to verify that the part is the black version. At least that is how it was explained to me. If your like me you don't have time to paint thisis the way to go.
Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers!

I'll look into blackening out myself and compare the pain of doing it to the prices of the parts and see if it is worth buying. $480 for a mirror sounds like a bit too much for me at least but I'll find out and post here if I get some pricing from Toyota.

Cheers,

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The cost for rattle canning the trim would be about $30 for all of it, and compared to $480 for just the mirrors, I'd say rattle can is you best bet!!!:cheers:

RATTLE CAN all the way!!!!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I agree that painting it yourself is more fun and cheaper than buying all the TT parts if you can get your hands on them.

However, there are about 30-40 threads on blacking out the stock parts and buying TT parts. How did you not find anything on the subject?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Why can't you order a blacked out headlight benzel from a TT from the dealer? What do they care?
I was going to black out my Ti, I was only planning on the benzel & the front center & wings on the bumper. The wife was yappin' about rattle canning a new truck,(I know, please don't flame me about the wife), But I thought I'd go down to the dealer & order a TT benzel. You guy's are saying They won't order it with out me owning one?
I guess they are Spec. Ed. What's to keep me from looking at the VIN of a TT on the lot & giving that to the parts guy? Still, all & all, the dealer price will be just a tick higher for the benzel than the price of a can of spray paint, I'm thinking about a $350 difference...........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Prior to posting, I wasn't familiar with the blackening out solution so I could not put it in the search field which most of the threads are about.

I agree blackening out seems the way to go. I'll check the blankening out threads....

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Different Dealer did not have a problem with ordering the parts and gave me these prices:

$192 Mirror (1 each)
$192 Mirror (1 each)
$99.58 Door Handle (1 each)
$25.00 Extra Required Part for either the Door Handle or the Mirror I don't recall now
$25.00 Extra Required Part for either the Door Handle or the Mirror I don't recall now
$97 Front End Bumper Piece (1 each)
$195 Front Bezel
$147 Front Bumper Long Lower Piece Under Bezel
$128 Back End Bumper Piece (1 each)
$90 Back Long Bumper Strip above Hitch
---------------------------------------------------------
$1515.16 + Tax + Labor
:jawdrop:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I painted my bezel with the help of the forum.
1. sand with 400 grit sand paper
2. used rustoleum primer for plastic, helps with adhesion
3. did three coats one hour apart, with rustoleum black textured for plastic.

I also unscrewed the plastic toyota mesh in the middle to make it easier so I did not have to mask.

I think I may need some kind of clear coat but will see.

Must use a mask for sanding and paint, I forgot to use for painting and I coughed up black paint phlemn for a day. painted in my opened garage. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Different Dealer did not have a problem with ordering the parts and gave me these prices:

$192 Mirror (1 each)
$192 Mirror (1 each)
$195 Front Bezel
$147 Front Bumper Long Lower Piece Under Bezel
$90 Back Long Bumper Strip above Hitch
---------------------------------------------------------
$1515.16 + Tax + Labor
:jawdrop:
Hint: buy the Tundra black handle set and save a bunch of $. The different is the Tundra handles have a slight texture, and the TT handles are smooth finish. The Tundra handle set is about 1/3 the price...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts