Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 FJ and was excited to consider buying the 2013 Trails Team edition FJ...

No rear sonar?

Sucky stereo?

This is a ridiculous oversight. Keep the rock rails for $575 and let ME decide whether I want the dealer to add that. Instead, give me sonar and a great stereo.

As someone who drives a lot of trails, there is often quite a drive to get there... and I want to listen to a good stereo while on the way.

The rear sonar has saved me many times. It's very nice to be able to *hear* how close I am to something that I can't see very well... like that tree that's near the side of my rear bumper and whose view is blocked by the huge D pillar.

It's also kinda silly to make someone buy the Trails Team edition to get the cool cement gray / black accents color.

One more thing... the automatic transmission feels weak when pulling out fast from a stop or trying to pass other vehicles. Even though the 2013 has more horsepower than my 2007, my 2007 manual feels much stronger in this respect.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
The tranny feels weak until you have it in 4-lo. I got a sore neck while out playing in the woods a few weeks ago because of the hard shift points.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tranny feels weak until you have it in 4-lo. I got a sore neck while out playing in the woods a few weeks ago because of the hard shift points.
In my mind, that sells me even more for a manual transmission... I broke my neck in November... am fine now but definitely don't need a sore neck. Manual allows me that fine shift control. Thanks for the comment-- really!

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Not sure why a auto transmission would cause more pain in the neck . If you are mashing the skinny pedal you probably could achieve that, but if you are a finesse driver, an auto should be even better than a manual, for preventing a sore neck
What it boils down to, is the way you drive it.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Not sure why a auto transmission would cause more pain in the neck . If you are mashing the skinny pedal you probably could achieve that, but if you are a finesse driver, an auto should be even better than a manual, for preventing a sore neck
What it boils down to, is the way you drive it.
X2! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
I have a 2007 FJ and was excited to consider buying the 2013 Trails Team edition FJ...

No rear sonar?

The rear view camera is better than sonar. don't you have that option?

Sucky stereo?

You can get the upgraded JBL system, but hey for the money do what I did and get a real stereo Problem solved

This is a ridiculous oversight. Keep the rock rails for $575 and let ME decide whether I want the dealer to add that. Instead, give me sonar and a great stereo.

The stock rock rails are actually pretty good. You can always sell them and get aftermarket ones. Rock rails are really a necessity for wheeling

As someone who drives a lot of trails, there is often quite a drive to get there... and I want to listen to a good stereo while on the way.

The rear sonar has saved me many times. It's very nice to be able to *hear* how close I am to something that I can't see very well... like that tree that's near the side of my rear bumper and whose view is blocked by the huge D pillar.

It's also kinda silly to make someone buy the Trails Team edition to get the cool cement gray / black accents color.

The nice thing is, you don't have to by the Cement TT. You can get any color you want and not pay for the TT

One more thing... the automatic transmission feels weak when pulling out fast from a stop or trying to pass other vehicles. Even though the 2013 has more horsepower than my 2007, my 2007 manual feels much stronger in this respect
I have both and it seems like the 07 is comparable to the 13 in power. I have both in an automatic .
I don't know, I'm happy with the 13 . The oil filter is more painful, but it sure is nice being in a new shiny TT .
All answers in Red above:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The FJ Jammer Stereo sucks too. Get an aftermarket one and don't look back! All you get is XM and subwoofer which its kinda hard to call it that, it only plays down to 55 hz.

The Manual trans is just plain faster than the Auto. The motor has more hp... But less torque which is what you feel off the line. A Auto Trans compounds this with the slipping torque converter which you don't get in the Manual.

I am hoping the Supercharger will fix some of the torque loss! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
No rear sonar?
My 2008 FJ had it, the 2012 did not.:mecry:

However the 2012 is wired for it and I had the Parts Department order everything needed. Parts came in and had the dealership install. Not cheap, looking at about $800.00 plus but it works great and my wife is happy.

Not sure about the 2013's. Have the Parts Department look up the wiring diagram and see what's there or not.

:cheers:

·
Registered
113 Posts
thoughts in red

No rear sonar? The camera is sweet though. Did you not like the camera? What makes the sonar better than the camera?

Sucky stereo? If you say so. My ears constantly ring. Turning it up just makes them ring more. I can say one thing, the stereo is better than my '01 Taco's. at least I can plug in a MP3 player.:clap:

This is a ridiculous oversight. Keep the rock rails for $575 and let ME decide whether I want the dealer to add that. Instead, give me sonar and a great stereo. $575 for good protection. I tell you what, if I hadn't had them last week I would not be able to open either passenger side door today. Didn't see a 3' drop. I wouldn't even get in the auto body shop's door for $575.

It's also kinda silly to make someone buy the Trails Team edition to get the cool cement gray / black accents color. I think it's the only color Toyota is selling this year. Lol. There are over 50 members here with one.

One more thing... the automatic transmission feels weak when pulling out fast from a stop or trying to pass other vehicles. Even though the 2013 has more horsepower than my 2007, my 2007 manual feels much stronger in this respect.
I have never driven the old engine or an automatic. However, I have no complaints about the power of my MT6.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Don't forget that the TT has no heated mirrors either and being it's the last year for the TT, and the only year for the cement gray, you really should not complain.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
No offense fierecy, but it seems like there are a lot of threads with people pretty unhappy with their FJ purchase after buying it. I just wonder why someone would buy one if they knew these were annoyances. Or, if they didn't know, why not research a vehicle a little more before buying it?

I've wanted one since 2007 and finally pulled the trigger last year. I knew the gas mileage wasn't great, that there were no heated mirrors or seats (both of which I had on the car I got rid of), blind spots, challenging interior space, a crappy horn, cramped back seats, suicide doors, etc... And I bought it anyway with no complaints. If those are things that are worth being that unhappy about, I never would have bought it in the first place.

Like I said, not trying to give you a hard time, but quite a few of these have popped up lately and I'm perplexed. If there was some sort of unidentified engine problem or something I'd understand. But it is pretty apparent what you get with each package...

Edit: noticed you didn't buy one, just looking. Fair enough. There are a lot of WTF posts after buying one though, that I find odd.

BTW, I was told that Toyota sells packages, not options, which is why for the most part what you see is what you get on the FJ.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yeah, I already have a 2007 that I've had since '06... I'm wanting to buy a new 2013 and just irritated with the way Toyota chooses to outfit their packages.

Sonar is, in my opinion, absolutely necessary. I have had so many times in the last seven years where it has saved my butt. Like I said, the tree that you can't see out in the woods... the child who rode his bicycle behind me as I was backing up (beep, beep, beep!!!)... and all the times I've parallel parked and could tell exactly how close I was to the car behind me by the sound of the sonar.

The radio... you guys are right... aftermarket (even though I don't like paying for one and then having to buy another). I don't really want to have to go looking for aftermarket sonar... Toyota should know better!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
The Sonar Info I posted was for the OEM.
I did not like any of the aftermarket options available as far a sonar.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
x2 to Wikid, and Skidgine's reply's in red. Concerning the stereo, I'm glad it came with a sucky stereo, more motivation to put in a real man's stereo, tear the rig apart, and get intimate with it...you know get to know your rig. Kinda like when replacing my brand new suspension with ICON, and Metal Tech gear. Now if it gets damaged on the trail, I'll know what is wrong just by looking at it.

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
Sucky stereo?

They switched from sonar to the back-up camera in the rear-view mirror (which would be big enough to be useful if it was on an in-dash navi).

And as for the stereo, the last TT that had the upgraded unit was the 2011. The 2012 was supposed to have it too (per the brochure) but it got left off. I'm betting that this was an oversight at the factory (kinda like the 2011 not-so-special-edition's) that they just didn't fix in 2013.

As a 2011 NSSE owner with the upgraded stereo, let me tell you it's pretty awesome for a factory setup, I just wish it had a navi.

·
Registered
429 Posts
This is my 2nd FJ (former 2008 Fusion Sun). I've had the 2013 TT two weeks now, about 400 miles.

• Cement Color gets more attention than my Sun Fusion - color of the road rather than the double yellow lines.
• Crawl System is very cool on solid ice and snow, especially on my 30° mountain driveway. On solid ice, this works very well going up or down hill.
• Integrated BlueTooth and iPod is very cool. BlueTooth connects to my iPad on the front seat. Direct line in connection from iPod is an improvement over 1/8" audio cable. Don't really miss the extra speakers that the 08 had.
• BFG Tires are a big improvement over the stock Bridgestones that the 08 FJ came with. Didn't have to buy new tires with the 2013 FJ - money saved there. BFG Tires work great in deep snow too. (yes, it's still snowing here in North Carolina)
• Synthetic Oil and Gear Lube - Factory Fill - I've been using Synthetic Oil and Gear Lube for over 30 years. About time it came with it.
• Overhead Map Lights. (anyone figure out how to change the bulbs?)
• Option to turn off Daytime Running Lights.

Dislikes:
• I also miss the rear sonar, because I have to back up on a 30° slope mountain driveway sideways into the side of a mountain (not your typical city driveway). Something new to learn I guess.
• Bling Ring on Tires - These will be painted satin black when it gets warmer.

Wants:
• Heated Mirrors
• Stronger Windshield Glass (08 had 2 windows replaced)

·
Registered
814 Posts
The Trail Teams should be Toyota's version of the FJ similar to what Ford has done with the F-150 Raptor. Sure have it at least $10k more expensive than a standard FJ but deck it out, put the FJ brand name out there with attitude and inspire more FJ enthusiasts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts