Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spoken to several people who have expressed an interest in a training expedition -- this thread is to assess the level of interest and what some of you might want to see in an event of this type.

CONCEPT: A multi-day trail run with clinics along the way to teach skills you need for safe and fun off-roading.

This isn't going to be a high-speed run across the desert. The objective is to (a) have fun (b) learn some new skills (c) meet/greet new people with common interests.

THE FOCUS IS ON PEOPLE NEW TO THE SPORT/LIFESTYLE

Suggested Clinics:

Trail Repairs -- front CV, disconnecting the drive shaft to get home, nomenclature, discussion of what spare parts and what tools are desirable to have, etc.

Orienteering -- map and compass work. (no gps allowed on the course)

Recovery -- safe and sane use of a winch, snatch block, strap, sand ladders/waffle boards, etc.

Firearms Safety and Familiarization -- how to render a firearm safe, how to safely transport and use a firearm with focus on the law and the do's and don'ts.

Dutch Oven Cooking -- how to make delicious trail meals using a Dutch oven.

Overview of FJ Modifications -- hands on discussion of the benefits of common modifications, philosophical differences in build-ups -- for example: between different styles of armor (light vs heavy) and the benefits of each, etc.

Driving in the Rocks -- driving over rock obstacles can be intimidating. This would offer drivers the opportunity to both drive over rocky terrain and to learn to spot other drivers. This is about training, not about showing people how cool you are.

--xx--

My current thought would be to do one for the West Coast FJ drivers and then to do something in the Mid-West/South.

• Would you be willing to participate?
  • What training opportunities (other than those listed above) would you like to participate in -- what are your suggestions?
  • Would you be willing to pay a nominal fee to cover the expenses associated with putting on an event like this one? I'm not selling anything (though I might have to become a vendor if this project becomes a reality and we discuss it on the forum).

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
I like it Larry, another great idea.

What about Trail Repair as in repairing the trail / clearing it of large rocks and trees that have fallen / rolled onto the trail, and even the use of the shovel in knocking down berms and river banks...

I need to get me a nice compass.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This would be perfect for someone like me. I am new to wheeling, and do not personally know anyone else that goes off roading.

A weekend trip would be easy to schedule, but anything longer would need some advance notice.

It would be good to know what bare minimum personal gear to bring along, and what the expected trail difficulties would be for those of us with stock rigs.

The event's proximity to home would also be a factor.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Where, when and how much? If I'm free and it's not too far away, I'll definitely sign up!

I'd also prefer a base near a motel, but can camp, if need be. I don't need the orienteering (already an experienced backpacker) or firearms training (retired LEO qualified as expert by my department), but won't mind sitting through it, because you can ALWAYS learn something new. Dutch Oven cooking also sounds tasty, especially, given that I just bring along water, some candy/trail mix and freeze dried food, whenever I go camping (in a car or on foot). ;)

On the other hand, I think that the rest of the training -- repairs, recovery, mods and rocks -- is vital and I'd like to be there just for that! :rocker:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sounds like a 2-3- day trip for sure.

Are you looking for people to particpate only as students or also as demonstrators?

Dutch Oven cooking, and CV joint repairs are my specialty! :lol:

Good luck with this venture, sounds like a blast.:rocker:

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. The AZFJ folks have done a few of these things - recovery skills days, newbie rock crawling instruction, etc. They've always been a fantastic success with everybody having a great time and getting good experience.

Some of those topics need to be covered in the daylight and in the field, others are best left for the campsite. For instance, recovery skills during the day with cooking tips in the evening and a roundtable discussion on FJ mods over the campfire at night.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This sounds like a great idea and a lot of fun. I am new to wheeling and would definately be interested in an event like this. If its going to happen on the west coast, I vote for somewhere in the sierras.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Larry,
Always interested... just when and where...because I have a really long way to drive!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I would be interested in repairs in the field.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
i'd be interested. nothing beats hands-on training, even if it is repeat training.

i would pay a nominal fee and would prefer a friday night to sunday format (unless it can fit sat-sun) in which everyone breaks into small groups for the training. you could always rotate the groups through "stations" to maximize the student/instructor ratio. either that or limit the total number of available seats.

i would also recommend a first aid course, which focuses on injuries that are apt to occur while on a trail (e.g. sprains, bites, dismemberment, etc.) there should always be a person familiar with basic first aid on trail runs.

good luck with the planning uphill. i look forward to seeing your plan come to fruition.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Interested, but I'm gonna have to twist the presidents balls to get more time off than I already planned this year. Any thoughts on splitting it up into small weekend courses?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Definitely interested. But, depends on if I can have those days off from work.
Doug, you need to change jobs. This lifestyle is definitely not healthy for your FJ.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts