Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got in the truck to come back from the summit and now my tranny is making a terrible whiining sound. Its also running way to hot acording to my scanguage. What gives? searching around leads me to believe that I got water in it when I crossed the streams up imogene pass. Im taking it to the dealer tomorrow. am I covered? any advice? Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
if It's just a fluid change and the dealer wants to charge you say no thanks and bring it to a cheaper oil change shop. you will save hundreds!! Definitly let them Diagnose it.
I'm surprised I didn't meet you this week. Man just so many cool people huh?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if It's just a fluid change and the dealer wants to charge you say no thanks and bring it to a cheaper oil change shop. you will save hundreds!! Definitly let them Diagnose it.
Yeah I was so busy running trails I hardly met anyone! I hope its just a fluid change......

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
When I first read the title this is all I could think of.......

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know it dont help with your situation other than maybe making you laugh.

Good luck with the "tranny" :bigthumb:

·
Banned
2,364 Posts

I assume the OP has an auto tranny - it is a "sealed" unit - not to be changed until 100K and requires a special Toyota transmission fluid. There's been a few folks on the forum who have had the wrong transmission fluid put in it by non-Toyota garages with dire results. So, I agree that you would save money by going to an oil change shop, but they had better be absolutely sure to put in the correct Toyota fluid for your FJ.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume the OP has an auto tranny - it is a "sealed" unit - not to be changed until 100K and requires a special Toyota transmission fluid. There's been a few folks on the forum who have had the wrong transmission fluid put in it by non-Toyota garages with dire results. So, I agree that you would save money by going to an oil change shop, but they had better be absolutely sure to put in the correct Toyota fluid for your FJ.
Thanks for the info. I looked for a way to check it but figured it was sealed since i couldnt find it.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure it's the tranny?????

Sounds like a pully burned up to me......
I thought it might be that but the sound only happens when im in gear and moving. If I put it in neutral and rev the engine all of the pullys sounds ok. But hey im not mechanic....

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
I thought it might be that but the sound only happens when im in gear and moving. If I put it in neutral and rev the engine all of the pullys sounds ok. But hey im not mechanic....

Plan "B"......

To the shop with a nice big dumb look on your face......"what's that sound Toyota man?".......

"Can you take care of it please????"

The key....Be NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your problem. The warranty repairs have been hit and miss. 007FJ Jim is a good guy to PM about this. He may have some advice for you.

There are a few threads on water in tranny issues. As stated above, warranty work is hit or miss. If you were still in CO Turner Toyota in Montrose would be the guys to treat you right! They replaced the seal in my diff on my way to the Summit and are super and a pleasure to work with and understand our FJ's and how we use them.

There is arguable justification for a warranty repair since the Toyota literature clearly states the FJ can ford water deeper than what we encountered on Imogene.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Good luck and i hope it doesn't cost you anything.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.