Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I've always wanted to do this too. Start to finish, all 4800 miles. Take a whole month off from life and just do it. Me and my best friend have it planned for our trip in 2018. A 30th birthday gift to myself.

By that time I will have the money set aside, time aside and hopefully can step out of work for a month. It would be such an amazing journey.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've always wanted to do this too. Start to finish, all 4800 miles. Take a whole month off from life and just do it. Me and my best friend have it planned for our trip in 2018. A 30th birthday gift to myself.

By that time I will have the money set aside, time aside and hopefully can step out of work for a month. It would be such an amazing journey.
Whoooooooooaa Nellie ! Apparently you ARE NOT my besty because I don't plan to wait until 2018. Must be nice to be that damn young ya whipper-snapper. :eek:ld:

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
This thread just caught my eye and surprised to find most of it suitable to 4x4. Before I thought it was just for dual sport bikes. I too have read the stories in NGS Adventure and Four Wheeler mags and also caught the fever for this type of trip. In fact I had big plans to do the Continental Divide trip a couple of years ago but too many things got in the way and had to cancel. Now that I own a house and a small adventure trailer it would be much easier. I think I would still prefer a N-S run through the Rockies then E-W on the TAT, especially the TN to CO portion. I'm pretty booked up for 2013 with trips but will have to give a long trip some careful thought for next year. I'm retired so can go anytime and duration is unlimited as long as the $ and health hold up.

Note to James: I heard recently that Dusey Ershim was closed. I did it several times in the 70s and always wanted to return. :-(

Ace

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This thread just caught my eye and surprised to find most of it suitable to 4x4. Before I thought it was just for dual sport bikes. I too have read the stories in NGS Adventure and Four Wheeler mags and also caught the fever for this type of trip. In fact I had big plans to do the Continental Divide trip a couple of years ago but too many things got in the way and had to cancel. Now that I own a house and a small adventure trailer it would be much easier. I think I would still prefer a N-S run through the Rockies then E-W on the TAT, especially the TN to CO portion. I'm pretty booked up for 2013 with trips but will have to give a long trip some careful thought for next year. I'm retired so can go anytime and duration is unlimited as long as the $ and health hold up.

Note to James: I heard recently that Dusey Ershim was closed. I did it several times in the 70s and always wanted to return. :-(

Ace
Continental Divide you say ??? :browsmiley:

I think Dusy Ershim is closed every winter due to snow and I'm pretty sure that's what you heard. Should open as snowmelt allows. I was figuring on doing it with Bill Burke (I've already discussed it with him) unless some other fun folk would like to join in around August/September.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you guys know if the TAT route crosses or shares any of the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route? I haven't yet taken a close look at the GPS tracks. Thinking about trying to the BDR towards the end of this summer.
I just got back from my local super motorbike dealer and a screening of the movie related to the Colorado route... Incredible here is the web page...
Backcountry Discovery Routes

And woods, a light dual sport and the fj are a perfect match... Many ways to get that to work... We just need a copilot the run the fj while we ride the bikes...

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Do you guys know if the TAT route crosses or shares any of the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route? I haven't yet taken a close look at the GPS tracks. Thinking about trying to the BDR towards the end of this summer.
The only way to find the exact routing of the Trans-America is to know someone who did it or spend the money on the maps (which I haven't done yet) so I can't answer that question . . . although I am interested in finding out.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Not sure how accurate it is but you can see what trails it follows. And if it's not the right trails it's still a good base line.
Zoom in enough and you can see that one is all paved highways. Might be called the same, but I don't think he was trying to duplicate the one sold on maps. Doesn't even enter Utah.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I researched doing this for a bit and as of right now it will be a while before I get the time to do it. But during my research I came across this google map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112946295941036069565.000001134bd7c35d882fc

Not sure how accurate it is but you can see what trails it follows. And if it's not the right trails it's still a good base line.
Zoom in enough and you can see that one is all paved highways. Might be called the same, but I don't think he was trying to duplicate the one sold on maps. Doesn't even enter Utah.
Yeah, the Trans-America trail that we're talking about starts in Tennessee and ends in Oregon. Based on the states listed on their website, the posted google map route is probably somebody's personal on-road route. Trans-America Trail .:. TAT Maps & Roll Charts .:.

Nevertheless, it looks like an interesting route for a road trip.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Continental Divide you say ??? :browsmiley:

I think Dusy Ershim is closed every winter due to snow and I'm pretty sure that's what you heard. Should open as snowmelt allows. I was figuring on doing it with Bill Burke (I've already discussed it with him) unless some other fun folk would like to join in around August/September.
Oh yes, the D-E is "closed" every winter by 10-20 ft of snow. But this guy who seems to really know the Sierras posted it is CLOSED. I too hoped to run it with Bill. I think he does it every other year and I would sign up if he ran it this year. Hoping the closure info is wrong. I have real fond memories of that trip from the 70s. I think we did it three times.

Ace

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Just did a search on the D-E and found an extensive report on Mud about a major cleanup effort there in July 2012 and no mention of any permanent closure was made. Showed photos of newly rebuilt picnic tables and outhouses. Sounds like definitely not closed.

Now back to the TAT. ;-)

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sooo interested in doing all of the routes someday. And getting paid to do so :) maybe I'll need a little help ;)

No kidding. Gas money anyone ? :lol: Just the time required alone makes it difficult to be away but as long as I'm still living near family I can have them pay my bills and check my mail as it comes in . . . really, really wish I had developed more writing/sorytelling skill like the folks from Landcruising Avdenture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys, I have done the TAT from Jellico, Tn to the Nevada State line on a Moto. I did it in a week to 10 day segments and plan to do Nevada and Oregon this Fall.
It is a great trip and most would be doable by FJ. Some of the trail in Utah follows a four wheeler trail and is off limits to vehicles over 48" wide( may be a little more or maybe less)

Here is an ongoing Ride Report from my trips.

Hot Chicks of the Eastern TAT - ADVrider

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi guys, I have done the TAT from Jellico, Tn to the Nevada State line on a Moto. I did it in a week to 10 day segments and plan to do Nevada and Oregon this Fall.
It is a great trip and most would be doable by FJ. Some of the trail in Utah follows a four wheeler trail and is off limits to vehicles over 48" wide( may be a little more or maybe less)

Here is an ongoing Ride Report from my trips.

Hot Chicks of the Eastern TAT - ADVrider
Oh boy. I just got through one page. This is going to take a while. I may have to snag a KLR650 or a KTM one of these days. Don't see myself doing this on my KLX450 even if I get it all legalized. FJ works too though. Thanks for the link :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I see this topic has died down. Has anyone done the Trans Am trail in an fj yet? Is anyone still interested in doing it?
I keep a pretty close eye on it and I've neither seen nor heard anything about an FJ. The biggest issue is the time commitment for what is mostly back roads.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts