Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
I see this topic has died down. Has anyone done the Trans Am trail in an fj yet? Is anyone still interested in doing it?
I am very interested in trying it someday. I've heard you need at least two weeks in a 4x4 to do the whole thing. If I ever get the time I would love to try start to finish, but I think the more realistic option is to see how far I could make it in a week and turn around. IF I had the time and money I would leave today :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am also interested in doing this trail. Either all of it or just part. I have a crazy dream of retiring and driving to Alaskia for a beer then heading to southern Arizona to live the rest of my days away from the crappy Illinois winters. This would be a good trial run

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Doing a little more reading on this.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Though I may not have the time this year... or next year... I fully intend to do this. My best friend is looking into either buying a used FJ or a used Taco and this would be the ultimate trip for us once he does. Subscribing for any updates... and if anyone is looking for travel buddies in the future feel free to hit me up. My job is flexible enough that I can, given the proper amount of planning, take the time to do this - and I will.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is definately on my radar too. Already have gps maps and google maps downloaded. Will definately do it in parts.

Cheers

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,082 Posts
Wow!

This is right up our alley!

We are game!!!

Expeditions R us!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
20 Posts
Road trip adventures do take some planning but are so worth it. The trans-America trail sounds great but very interested in the Mexico/Canada expedition. Why stop in Canada...anyone in for Mexico/Alaska? Drove from Denver to Anchorage in November... Summer months would be spectacular! I'm in...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Dang!
How did I miss this thread?
I am interested as well. Like a lot of others time off is the real struggle.

Also trying to stay open to driving down to Baja and making a trip to Cabo and back next year.

Subscribed

·
Registered
204 Posts
woodsman,

I'm in for this trip- I know so Georgia guys that would also be in for it too. I have heard that the first part isn't the best from what I have read, but Sounds like a great time.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
woodsman,

I'm in for this trip- I know so Georgia guys that would also be in for it too. I have heard that the first part isn't the best from what I have read, but Sounds like a great time.
I don't see it happening for me this year. The months are clicking off and I have a couple other trips coming up this fall. I need to get back into research mode.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I would definitely be up for this. As Woodsman says though, this is HUGE amount of distance 4wheeling. Averaging 20 miles per hour which between sleeping and sight seeing might be a good guess, puts you at 6 weeks.
Granted there's no way of knowing how much of this is highway or trail, but I think we all agree it's a huge chuck.
Between work and family, I would need to break this up into 3 or 4 bite size pieces. Either way it sounds amazing!

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I would definitely be up for this. As Woodsman says though, this is HUGE amount of distance 4wheeling. Averaging 20 miles per hour which between sleeping and sight seeing might be a good guess, puts you at 6 weeks.
Granted there's no way of knowing how much of this is highway or trail, but I think we all agree it's a huge chuck.
Between work and family, I would need to break this up into 3 or 4 bite size pieces. Either way it sounds amazing!
In addition, because of differences in starting points, it is difficult organizing individuals from multiple geographic locations to run it together. I could easily start in Tennessee and simply run west until my time off runs out. The site says you will average 200 miles per day on a motorcycle. I'm confident you will do a little better in a 4x4 and it will help also if you just focus on running what time allows rather than running it all at once, as you mentioned.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Woodsman,

No worries. I'm a little out of the area this summer/fall, but would be game to wheel again with you even if I have to wait for a pre Summit Moab adventure next year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I see its been a few years since anyone has commented on this. I believe most of it would be easily doable in a FJ Cruiser and while I would love to do it on two wheels carrying me and my son on a bike with all of our gear seems like a bit much. I think the experience would be just as fun in the FJ even if you had to break it up in sections due to time constraints.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts