Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a Setrab cooler for the tranny, I read over the Toyota service instructions on how to check the fluid level and I think I’m overthinking this a bit....
After installing the cooler I went ahead a filled the cooler with fluid...(as much as I could Anyway, started the FJ up and let it run for awhile to check for leaks and to try and get it to a temp of between 115 & 130*. Once I got the truck up to temp by idling in gear for what seemed forever!!!! I pulled the fluid level plug and a decent amount of fluid came out. Then slowed to a trickle...I was in neutral, my question is, Does the trans need to be in Gear or neutral when checking the level? Or Park for that matter? Anyway I let it get back up to temp and checked it again in park, at 130* and this time no fluid trickled out, so I removed the fill plug and pumped some more fluid in till it trickled again.... Am I good ?
Also, I have a Ultragauge to monster trans temps... not sure if it monitors Pan temp or not..
PS. I’m hoping Someone more familiar with this can get me straightened out...

Mike

Reactions: bazross

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a bit of searching around and found a great write up from Tacoma world from a link on the FJ forums, pretty sure I’m good with the way I check the fluid level on the second go around,,
#1 trans up to temp of 115* to 130*.
#2 in Park, on level ground
#3 slight trickle of fluid out of the overflow tube...

Reactions: bazross

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought I show the size of the Setrab. It’s a monster

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Service manual says to place in Park. You want the temp between 97 to115F. Like you stated if none comes out add and re-perform and drain excess. Sound like your good. Some OBDII Code readers with data collection will show you trans oil temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts