Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to change the gear oil in the transmition (manual), Transfer case and both diffs to synthetic. It will really help during the cold winter months up here in Canada. How much oil do I need for the complete job and is the same kind of oil used in all the parts?

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Welcome,

All that information is neatly organized in back the owner's manual and there is also a thread around here someplace that repeats all that info but I can't find it for some reason.

75W90 for the front & rear diffs, transfer case and 6MT.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I would like to change the gear oil in the transmition (manual), Transfer case and both diffs to synthetic. It will really help during the cold winter months up here in Canada.
Yes; for that reason I recommend a good synthetic gear lube.

How much oil do I need for the complete job and is the same kind of oil used in all the parts?

Manual tranny: ~2 US quarts
Transfer case: ~1.5 US quarts
Rear diff: ~3 US quarts
Front diff: ~1.5 US quarts

But I would buy 9 because some of the specs are just over a quart and if you completely drained everything dry (almost impossible to do) you might need a little more than 8.

Like DEWFPO said, the same gear lube for all these boxes.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Yes; for that reason I recommend a good synthetic gear lube.

Like DEWFPO said, the same gear lube for all these boxes.
That is not necessarily correct - Redline synthetic recommends using 75W90 gear oil in the diffs, but MT90 in the trans / transfer case - they use different additives, and the MT90 will allow for smoother gear shifting...

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
That is not necessarily correct - Redline synthetic recommends using 75W90 gear oil in the diffs, but MT90 in the trans / transfer case - they use different additives, and the MT90 will allow for smoother gear shifting...
I didn't know he was asking about Redline; I was quoting from the Toyota factory service manual and owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
I didn't know he was asking about Redline; I was quoting from the Toyota factory service manual and owner's manual.
X2, we were quoting the owner's manual.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
35 Posts
Extract from Owner’s Manual: 2007 FJ CRUISER from Jan. ’06 Prod. (OM35857U)

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Oil capacity, L (qt., Imp. qt.):
1.8 (1.9, 1.6)
Oil type:
Gear Oil API GL−4 or GL−5
Recommended oil viscosity:
SAE 75W−90

TRANSFER (full−time four wheel drive
models)
1.4 (1.5, 1.2)
Oil type:
Hypoid gear oil API GL−5
SAE 75W−90

TRANSFER (part−time four wheel drive models)
1.0 (1.1, 0.9)
Oil type:
Hypoid gear oil API GL−3
SAE 75W−90

DIFFERENTIAL
Front
Full−time four−wheel drive models
1.4 (1.5, 1.2)
Part−time four−wheel drive models
1.5 (1.6, 1.3)

Rear
Without rear differential lock
3.0 (3.2, 2.6)
With rear differential lock
2.9 (3.1, 2.6)
Oil type:
Hypoid gear oil API GL−5

Front
Full−time four−wheel drive models
Above −18_C (0_F)
SAE 90
Below −18_C (0_F)
SAE 80W or 80W−90
Part−time four−wheel drive models
SAE 75W−90

Rear
Above −18_C (0_F)
SAE 90
Below −18_C (0_F)
SAE 80W or 80W−90

·
Registered
42 Posts
In my 2008 owners manual, it says to use a GL-5 Hypoid gear oil in the transfer case for the manual transmission FJ. (GL-4 or 5 in the automatic transmission) For the MT, that would suggest 75W90 in the TC rather than MT90. I had contacted Dave at Redline about this and, given the Toyota manual's recommendation, he suggested MT90 for the trans, but 75W90 in the transfer case and diffs.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
CHECK THAT! You may want to look at the TSB thread. I believe there is a bulletin that changes the OEM recommended weight of the oil. I can't recall what weight it says to use but I would go with that. Additionally, Toyota may do it for free if indeed they've issued a TSB.

Cheers!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I posted the TSB right before you wrote that. :cheers: I believe someone said its a "non-warranty" item so its not all that mission critical. If you already have 75w-90, I would leave it and just wait until the next change.

·
Registered
45 Posts
so does that mean the gear oil ior the transfer and diffs is 75W-85 now? also, do you know of any other kind of tranny fluid besides the redline one like mobil 1 synthetic?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
do you know of any other kind of tranny fluid besides the redline one like mobil 1 synthetic?
I'm partial to Amsoil Severe Gear Synthetic 75W-90 and use it in every differential and manual gearbox that I own:

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

Royal Purple also makes synthetic gear lube.

IMO you can't go wrong with any fully-synthetic brand.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Not to say anyone is wrong... but I believe Toyota is now advising 75w-85. :)

DL003-07 - Front and rear differential gear oil specification change.
Differential Gear OIL *TSB*
I had my diff's changed out last week with 75W-85. And yes it is not a warranty issue so you gots to pay. Unless you talk real nicey nicey to them they might do it for free. (When cows fly).:jester:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had my diff's changed out last week with 75W-85. And yes it is not a warranty issue so you gots to pay. Unless you talk real nicey nicey to them they might do it for free. (When cows fly).:jester:

I was looking through my 08 Manual and it states for Automatic transmission only.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm partial to Amsoil Severe Gear Synthetic 75W-90 and use it in every differential and manual gearbox that I own:

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

Royal Purple also makes synthetic gear lube.

IMO you can't go wrong with any fully-synthetic brand.

So if I buy this Amsoil, I can use it in my tranfer, differentials (front and rear), and manual trans?

Same goes with the Mobil 1 gear oil?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts