Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm changing out the fluids on my new to me part time 4x4 07 FJ with the 6-speed auto tranny. My spec page says the transfer case requires Hypoid GL-3 for the transfer case. If I had the manual tranny, the transfer case takes GL-5. I'm at a loss on what fluid to put in. Are the two transfer cases that different? Has anyone addressed this issue? Any recommendations on what to put in the transfer case? Thank you...

Charlie

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Hi,
I'm changing out the fluids on my new to me part time 4x4 07 FJ with the 6-speed auto tranny. My spec page says the transfer case requires Hypoid GL-3 for the transfer case. If I had the manual tranny, the transfer case takes GL-5. I'm at a loss on what fluid to put in. Are the two transfer cases that different? Has anyone addressed this issue? Any recommendations on what to put in the transfer case? Thank you...

Charlie
Welcome to the forum. The auto trans is actually a 5 speed. The manual trans FJs are full time all wheel drive so they don't have a transfer case like the autos do. They have a center differential instead. Stick with what the manual says and run the GL-3.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Where on earth do you find a GL-3 oil? It is an obsolete spec, has been for awhile now

I have used Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 in both axles and the transfer case of my FJ since new. This is a commercial heavy duty synthetic and works well

The OP should be aware that Toyota would have you believe you need to run a straight 90 in the rear axle, and an 80W-90 below 0 F. A TSB was issued for the 2007 FJ to require the use of a special synthetic Toyota gear oil, 75W-85, in the axles

Most of us just use a synthetic 75W-90 in everything. The exception may be the 6 speed manual trans. Probably better off using a GL-4 lube in that or shift feel may get very notchy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry about the number of gears mix up....auto is 5! My problem is where to find GL-3. Looks like jayman's been using a GL-5 syn. I am just fearful of damaging my rig.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The commercial product I use is also dual rated MT-1 so it is appropriate in newer transmissions with syncrhos. The additive package is supposed to be compatible with copper synchros

Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90, 80W-140

They also offer a GL-4 product that is specific for transmissions with synchro's

Mobil Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50

If you use the Amsoil product lookup, they recommend either their GL-5 or GL-4 in the stick shift 6 speed, but only the GL-5 gear oil in the transfer case

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Jayman knows oil. He is our guru on the subject.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
I used Amsoil MTG, Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 in my 07 5AT. Shifts real nice all the time even in the bitter cold.

DEWFPO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts