Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all --

I appear to have something leaking, although I can't really tell where it's coming from yet. I have oil covered all over the transfer case and the transfer case skid. Smells like gear oil.

I've checked the level in the tc twice and both times it's full to the top, so I'm a little confuzzled at this point. If I had to guess, it's coming from where the driveshaft meets the tc. Common? Is that something I can tackle myself in a weekend? What parts should I be looking for?

It's not gushing out, but there is oil all over the underside of the FJ near that area, and a small pool in the skid. It strikes me as more than having the tc look completely full when I check the level.

I should still have warranty, but I'd rather fix it myself if it's not a BIG job.

Much appreciated! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Do you have an auto or manual trans? The MT uses gear oil too so you may want to check the level there.

If you can't tell exactly where it's coming from, the best way I know is to clean everything with degreaser and go for a short drive. Then see if you can tell where it's coming from.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Mines 'weeping' a little from the O/P shaft of the TC as well but nothing to worry about yet.

It doesn't take much oil to make it look like a lot. If your tranny and TC are both full, you can probably wait awhile on any repairs. Every 4WD I've ever owned seemed to seep a little where cases mated together or where shafts entered cases.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I had the same problem in Feb 09. Turned out that the rear output shaft seal on the TC had sprung a leak. I had Toyota do the job because a) I'd literally just driven 3000 miles from Seattle to my new home in VA...with no garage or workspace and b)I was still under warranty. Believe me when I say that Uhaul was not happy to get their trailer back covered in gear oil which meant every bit of salt, sand, and road grime I drove through stuck all over the front of the trailer. :lol:

One problem I ran into is that the mechanic had to order "an additional part" once they had the FJ in the bay. Apparently there's a secondary gasket that you have to try not to destroy (according to my own research) and the mechanic destroyed it. I haven't had any problems with the TC since then.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
If I had to guess, it's coming from where the driveshaft meets the tc. Common? Is that something I can tackle myself in a weekend? What parts should I be looking for?
Output shaft oil seal. Not hard to do yourself if you have the right tools. You'll need an impact gun, a 30mm impact socket, a seal puller, a piece of pipe or a socket of the right size to drive the new seal in, a drift or punch to re-stake the nut, and a torque wrench.

Take the drive shaft off (14mm socket/wrenches), take the flange nut off (impact gun, 30mm socket), take the flange off, pull the old seal, clean and inspect output shaft for grooves or scores, lube new seal and install it carefully and square until it is bottomed in the case (a little more than flush), re-install the flange, re-install the flange nut (impact gun again, unless you have the SST to immobilize the flange), stake the flange nut, re-attach the drive shaft (use blue Loctite), torque nuts to 65 ft. lbs.

Do you have an auto or manual trans? The MT uses gear oil too so you may want to check the level there.
The auto tranny models have gear oil in the transfer case also. :)

It doesn't take much oil to make it look like a lot. If your tranny and TC are both full, you can probably wait awhile on any repairs.
+1

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'll take a better look to make sure that's what is going on, but sounds as if it's not a big deal either way as long as the fluids up. I'll probably take care of it myself whenever I get around to it.

Extra thanks 1911, I couldn't ask for a better explanation than that! :cheers:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Symptoms definitely sound like an output shaft seal. Mine went a couple weeks ago and it made a fair mess of the undercarriage. The drive shaft just spins oil everywhere so even a small leak can look pretty bad. It's not too hard to swap though. 1911's instructions are right on par and should get you squared away pretty quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts