Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So a while ago, it appeared that my transfer case was leaking. Toyota thought the same thing, and actually replaced the seal for me. Well, it turns out that chances are, it wasnt leaking. Since the little drips were still around, the tech digged a bit harder and found out that transfer sensor #3 was in fact leaking.

Does this sound like a typical FJ problem?

Even then, the service rep stated that the transfer sensors only have 3/36 warranty and are not covered on the 60k powertrain warranty. Is this true? Or do I have a little discussion here.

The good part is, they are acknowledging the fact that they didnt see this problem from the beginning, and are showing my transfer case as still "leaking". This is so that they will cover all of the labor to replace the sensor, but I have to pay for the part ($105.21).

Now, I have no problem paying just for the part, if infact, it isnt a 60 powertrain warrantable item.

Thoughts, opinions on this?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was wondering why they would replace the whole sensor. But, wanted to check first, as I am not as versed with the FJ as I am with other vehicles.

I am trying to find if the sensor is covered under the 60k powertrain, or just the 3/36 portion.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
typical no, but these thing happen
IIRC the TC switches use an aluminum crush washer, i wouldn't use RTV.
the part (washer) shouldn't be more than a buck or two

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shift into 4Hi, 4LO, and test your locker/atrac. If everything still works the switch is fine. Tell them to remove the switch, apply sealent and then thread it back in place. As you and 1911 hinted...you shouldn't need a new switch.
This might sound like a dumb question, but how exactly do I test it?

Obviously I know how to put it into 4Lo, and engage the A-TRAC (press the button). So, am I just looking for the indicators to appear on the dash? Or should I actuallly test it out on a certain obstacle/terrain.

Again, sorry for the newbie related question. I am new to 4wd vehicles that are not yoru typical mall crawler.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
464 Posts
This might sound like a dumb question, but how exactly do I test it?

Obviously I know how to put it into 4Lo, and engage the A-TRAC (press the button). So, am I just looking for the indicators to appear on the dash? Or should I actuallly test it out on a certain obstacle/terrain.

Again, sorry for the newbie related question. I am new to 4wd vehicles that are not yoru typical mall crawler.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.
If the sensors are working put it into 4Lo, and engage the A-TRAC and if the ATRAC and 4WD lights come on, the sensor is working. If you have a rear locker push that button as well when you are in 4Low and see if that engages. You do not have to take the FJ offroad to do this. A short strech of straight road will work. The rear diff lock may take some turning left/right and/or backing up to get it to engage otherwise don't be doing doughnuts on pavement while in 4Low.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
typical no, but these thing happen
IIRC the TC switches use an aluminum crush washer, i wouldn't use RTV.
the part (washer) shouldn't be more than a buck or two
Not all cases use crush washers, perhaps Toyota is forgeting to put them on in the factory? I've got an OEM case sitting in my garage w/o crush washers on any of the sensors. The lefty case sensors don't come with crush washers either. RTV will do the trick and doesn't require the OP to remove the sensor entirely...a sealing crush washer is an alternative though. :cheers:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I did infact test both ATRAC and the Rear Locker. They both engaged. It took a couple of seconds for the locker to engage. I just crept forward a bit and turn the wheel. But, it came on. And if you started moving (slowly) you could definitely hear it.

The dumbass dealer already ordered the part (and its in). But, I dont care. I will speak with them tomorrow about simply re-sealing it. If they refuse to do it, then I will head up to my buddy's lift, and we will back it out and re-seal it ourselves.

Thanks for all your advice/tips/help gang. Now tha I am out of my warranty I am going to start modding it. But, I just want to make sure that I am in good running order first.

Cheers!
Nathan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts