Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new owner of an '08 FJC auto, 4x4, with 85k miles. Am noticing a strange bump feeling after coming to a stop at a light , and then accelerating. It happens about 30% of the time. Any ideas, or experiences like this?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Very common observation with many Toyota trucks built over the last 15+ years. Most commonly caused by slight binding of the splines in the slip-joint in the rear driveshaft.

Lube the appropriate Zerk fitting every 5K miles with high-quality moly-filled chassis grease.

You will typically see a correlation between the abruptness of the stop and the tendency to get the “bumped from behind” sensation. If you do 99.5% of your braking and then let up slightly so you slowly roll to a final gentle stop, you will never encounter this, even if your slip joint is binding slightly.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I started experiencing this after 30K miles, but giving each zerk 1-2 pumps of grease every 5K has completely eliminated it

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old thread but it appears both toyota, and now Dorman, came out with a redesigned rear driver shaft to take care of this. Don't know if its worth the money as opposed to a few pumps of the grease gun every 5k miles. The Dorman pn is 936-773. Factory number appears to be 3711035A00.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very common observation with many Toyota trucks built over the last 15+ years. Most commonly caused by slight binding of the splines in the slip-joint in the rear driveshaft.

Lube the appropriate Zerk fitting every 5K miles with high-quality moly-filled chassis grease.

You will typically see a correlation between the abruptness of the stop and the tendency to get the “bumped from behind” sensation. If you do 99.5% of your braking and then let up slightly so you slowly roll to a final gentle stop, you will never encounter this, even if your slip joint is binding slightly.
Letting the transmission downshift by itself around 37 miles per hour and again at about 23 miles per hour, braking and rolling into a steady stop solves this problem.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I grease mine every 5K. It still has the bump. Its been doing it for over 13 years. Everything is fine and its not on my worry list :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts