Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I find myself doing more and more towing with my '11 FJ and knowing these rigs do not come with a tow package, I would like to add in an auxiliary transmission cooler. Between my boat, flat motorcycle trailer, and camper I would like to keep the transmission as happy as I can.

My question to the members are, what brands would you suggest? And what size coolers has everyone found to work best? Basic heat transfer shows that the greater surface area of the cooler would work the best, but I am not sure where to start with looking for the best fit for the FJ.

Thanks in advance everyone, the members on this forum have proven to have exceptional knowledge for folks in the future to find.

P.S. I have searched through the threads already, and would finally like to have a thread dedicated strictly to the sizing and selection of a transmission cooler.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I'm using a Hayden Automotive 677 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler (3/4 inch x 11 inch x 7-1/2 inch) that fits in nicely.

Reactions: Cody Pereira

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response fairbro, I saw that brand come up a few times on my searches. Did you make a stand-off bracket to support the aux cooler in front of the radiator?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have not ordered my transmission cooler yet, but, I was planning on ordering a Hayden 678. I have no experience on an FJ but have done this on other vehicles. I want to watch and see what replies you get before placing my order. Thanks for asking the question.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Thank you for the response fairbro, I saw that brand come up a few times on my searches. Did you make a stand-off bracket to support the aux cooler in front of the radiator?
Yes, I made some brackets out of some S/S strips with holes punched in it that I picked up at Home Depot.

Reactions: Geezer

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm running the Hayden 678 and get about 30 degrees cooler per the Scangauge.
Not to change the subject but what Scangauge are you running? Or what is the trans temp shown as, mine doesn't show Trans temp.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just so happens I'm installing a Tru-Cool 4454 this weekend. I chose it based on the advice of others (especially Jimmiee) here on the forum. At first I thought about mounting it horizontally, with the hoses at the top, but I would have had to mount it lower than I would have liked (less airflow), or worse yet, take a chance on kinking the hoses at the upper hood support.

I opted to mount it sideways as most others have done, with the hose outlets facing toward the driver's side. I cut down (and painted) the metal straps that came with the kit, and only had to drill one hole, in the center support where the upper driver's side bracket is attached. Oh, and I mounted it "backwards." It's a pretty decent fit this way. It's maybe a half inch in front of the condenser. I've attached a picture of the job so far. I haven't hooked the hoses up yet. Wish me luck on that part, and adding the fluid!

Attachments

Reactions: Cody Pereira

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for adding the picture Moonbuggy! Let us know how everything works out for you. The replies from this post are exactly what I was hoping to get. A bit of experience from a bunch of folks that have already done the mod.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Reactions: Geezer

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I'm running the Hayden 678 and get about 30 degrees cooler per the Scangauge.
Did you need to buy any additional adapters or hose or did everything needed for the installation come with the cooler?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Did you need to buy any additional adapters or hose or did everything needed for the installation come with the cooler?
Needed more hose. I had my local mechanic install it so not sure how many feet, but that's all the extra stuff he needed to purchase.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Needed more hose. I had my local mechanic install it so not sure how many feet, but that's all the extra stuff he needed to purchase.
Thanks, I think I'll buy some extra hose before I start pulling things apart.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here is a TruCool 4454 with a Spal waterproof fan controlled with a manual switch. I monitor both torque converter and pan temps.

Only additional hardware I needed were some washers used as spacers.

I had to rewire my horn to the other side though.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts