Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my 2008 FJ into Toyota to get the transmission serviced about 3K miles ago. I thought it was a full flush but after looking at the receipt they only performed a drain and fill for $224. This weekend at 103,000 miles I dropped the pan on the Toyota non service transmission and these are some photos, pretty disgusting. I replaced the filter and cold fluid drained was 4200 ml or around 4.5 quarts. It is shifting smoother and il probably do another drain and fill in 50 miles or so. Glad I did this.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am headed to a dealer tomorrow to price that. Thanks for the info. I changed the front & rear diff, transfer case, power steering, oil, & spark plugs myself. Was going to see about them doing a flush on tranny and coolant since I figured they had all the right equip and could make sure it all was done right. Now having second thoughts. I have 6 quarts of ATF WS and a hand transfer pump. Researched the threads. Could do ot myself. Just thought dealer would do it right and not such a mess in my driveway/garage. Wife already complains sbout stains and smell of Amsoil.
Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am headed to a dealer tomorrow to price that. Thanks for the info. I changed the front & rear diff, transfer case, power steering, oil, & spark plugs myself. Was going to see about them doing a flush on tranny and coolant since I figured they had all the right equip and could make sure it all was done right. Now having second thoughts. I have 6 quarts of ATF WS and a hand transfer pump. Researched the threads. Could do ot myself. Just thought dealer would do it right and not such a mess in my driveway/garage. Wife already complains sbout stains and smell of Amsoil.
Thanks for advice.
you already did all those others diy but you're going to pay to have the atf drained and refilled? the hardest part is checking the level. just get an obd reader(which you should already have) to measure the temps then open till it drips.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So I took my 2008 FJ into Toyota to get the transmission serviced about 3K miles ago. I thought it was a full flush but after looking at the receipt they only performed a drain and fill for $224. This weekend at 103,000 miles I dropped the pan on the Toyota non service transmission and these are some photos, pretty disgusting. I replaced the filter and cold fluid drained was 4200 ml or around 4.5 quarts. It is shifting smoother and il probably do another drain and fill in 50 miles or so. Glad I did this.
is that the fluid you drained or the new fluid? not trying to be a wiseass but that looks brand new LOL

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep. Cost wise for the ATF full flush I am paying roughly$30-50 if they go through 13+ qts. Less as they use more. I have the ones I already ordered and can use them to do the maintenance swap once a yr. Weather is horrible right now and no good indoor place to make a mess...and I would spill or drip in multiple locations. Guaranteed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts