Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Transmission fluid loses properties.

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  City fighter 
#1 ·
Most normal oils lose composition in time and this is no exception on hydraulic oil used on automatic-transmissions. When to a dealership to change my transmission fluid on 2015 Lexus Es350 with 20000 miles and at my cost and service was refuse because "don't need". Since when dealership decided what to be done on preventing maintance?
Hope Toyota invest some time on retraining on new technology and mechanics don't have to be frustrating to do any mechanical work.

#2 ·
... and now you know why you should never, ever go to the dealership unless you have no other choice.

They tried to put my FJ back together after a wreck - misaligned the fender, didn't replace bent tie rod ends, window leaked due to improper gasket positioning and they broke the new side mirror when installing it.

I had it all re-fixed elsewhere, then sent the bill to the dealership. They ignored it until I had my son (lawyer) write them a letter informing them that each individual failure would be drug separately through small claims court. The total for them would have been 4x what the repair bill was. They folded and paid me.

For me, at least, the dealership is good for the basic warranty and nothing more. Even then, I marked the parts they were supposed to replace with a paint pen - they replaced only one of the two calipers that were leaking. I had to go back, get the service manager, show him my mark AND make him watch the seam leak on the caliper. Then they did the other one.

It's a shame, since guys owning dealerships are not poor, that many of them either don't care about customers or else just take every opportunity to gig customers for more.

Dealerships - stay away if you value your FJ

#5 · (Edited)
Aisin's recommendations for fluid change seem to vary wildly, depending on what part of the world they are advertising in. In one Aisin advertisement (below) the "recommendation" for transmission fluid change (not stated as conventional or synthetic) is 2 years or 20K kilometers (~12,400 miles!!). This distance spec may be some kind of typographical or translation error, given the semi-broken-English.

In the US, the big Aisin AS69RC 6-speed auto used behind the 6.7L Cummins diesel has a recommended change interval of 30K miles (48,280 kilometers).

#4 ·
There are now two 1,000,000 mile Tundras out there, both serviced by the same dealership (both hotshot drivers who put 50k/month). There's an interview on Trucks.com with the service person at the dealership, she talks about that issue, the transmission is sold as "lifetime", meaning around 100k miles, without a dipstick, so they ignored that and replaced the fluid on regular intervals (along with servicing every other fluid, including power steering fluid which is also not given a service interval in the owner's manual).

#7 ·
So who do you believe?
Fluid manufacture recommends one thing, End user (Toyota) recommends something else, joe public has umpteen different ideas based on who you talk to.

#10 ·
So who do you believe?
Fluid manufacture recommends one thing, End user (Toyota) recommends something else, joe public has umpteen different ideas based on who you talk to.
Believe neither ... base YOUR fluid change interval on fluid analysis performed on YOUR fluid, run in YOUR transmission, under YOUR own unique driving conditions.

Even this might not tell the whole story, as a standard hydraulic oil analysis will not look at the unique additives or fluid characteristics that promote or minimize lockup clutch "shudder". If you intend to keep your vehicles for 250 or 300K miles, full system (12-14 liter) transmission fluid changes at 30K mile intervals may be adequate to maximize transmission life.

In my opinion.

#8 ·
its the same for all fluids: OEM advertises long service intervals for marketing purposes, parts makers tend to recommend more frequently for longest possible life

Frankly, most ATMs go just fine with long fluid change intervals. But, it is like the "how long is a piece of string?" question: it all depends. Are you towing a trailer, or climbing a lot, are you operating in a severe duty region, or simply rolling along on a US interstate?

As the owner, looking for super long life from the vehicle, you cannot go wrong with too frequent changes, vs. the downside of waiting too long to do it.

#12 ·
I'm working on my cars for long time and know the answers. Big Thanks to all of you participate. Toyota -Lexus intentionally miss this info because they have issues with fluids levels and mechanics at dealers.
On 2003 have a new Avalanche and towing a 5000 loud boat i changed every 3 years and never had any problems. Other same trucks have issues with transmission.
My daughter lesed cars and services come from dealership and in two occasion we when for long trips with her car to add miles because she drives on weekends only.Before long trips I have inspected and find: missing bolts skid plate, overfill engine oil with over 1qt, maintanice done with out ck light reset,and many more I have to do the work after them.
Dealers slush wage on mechanics and good mechanics looking forward for better opportunity.
After transmission service refuse I will not even wash my car there.If I have any real warranty problems all work will be responsible and unit will be tested to fully manufacturer specs on dyno and fluids samples before and after.Don't care the cost on private shop.
Is not a pay back but ensure jobs done right.
Hope someone from manufacturing looking to this forums and learn something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.