Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my FJ 5 years ago with 180,000 on it and have brought it up to a little over 233,000 in the time since. I'm not sure when or even if the last transmission service was done before I bought the FJ, so I'm sure it needs done. My question is whether or not its a good idea to do an actual drain and flush at this high of mileage, or just do the oil change. I've heard a flush may have an adverse effect on a high-mileage transmission like that.

Thoughts?

Premium Member
Stories of "breaking debris loose causing blockages" ignore the fact that fluid is already cycling through the transmission. A machine just collects the old and cycles in the new. Additives are another story.

Registered
long story short: I purchased an 02 4runner with 98k certified used from toyota. took it in at 105k and had it flushed. tranny died a week later. did the flush cause it? who knows.

I have 203k on my wife's FJ and to my knowledge, it's never been serviced. I plan on doing a drain/fill (not flush) a few times to slowly cycle in new fluid and replace the filter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See, that's what I have heard by quite a few people which is why I'm more than a little wary about doing the flush.

Premium Member
The fact is that the million mile Tundras (there are now a few of them) all had their fluids replaced regularly, including the transmission, and went the distance with the original parts.

Waiting 15+ years and >200k miles for the first fluid change might create a scenario where flushing could cause an already failing unit to go more quickly, but the fact is that keeping something clean, and keeping the additives up to target levels is always better than not.

Look at it this way: if flushing the fluid were to cause your 200+ AT to fail, mark it down to poor maintenance and not to the flush. The odds are that flushing it with new will help it last to 400k+.

Norm

Registered
You need to flush this via the run into bucked and refill method which is described on this forum period. Do not let some fool power flush your wallet and transmission. This method is not different than driving your FJ and all fluid will be new. I use Valvoline Maxlife and it shifts better than ever.

Registered
I have done several full fluid exchanges about 14 qts or so. Now I just do a pan drain every spring and the fluid just stays red. I`m at 165,000 miles now and it works perfectly. :)

Registered
I have a Hayden 679 and I do full fluid exchange with AISIN synthetic AFW+ every 50000, my transmission shifts like new, I also have a Magnefine inline filter in between the cooler and transmission. My transmission temps never hit over 185 under severest of conditions under ambient temps of 100 plus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts