Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to be a good boy and get a transmission flush before the summit. I had only put 50,000 miles on my FJ; however, I don't buy into the 100,000 mile claim. Well, they messed up and put the wrong fluid in there.

I noticed this the next day when I was trying to accelerate from a stop light and while the RPMs increased, 1st gear didn't engage until a couple of seconds later. The truck lurched forward. I drove like a granny to get it back to the shop. It drove ok and I didn't hear anything break.

They are in the process of replacing the fluid and putting in the correct Toyota WS fluid. They don't know if any permanent damage was done. Just great....

Anyone care to speculate if I will need a new transmission? I am in a real time crunch here if I want to make it to the summit. I am hoping I got lucky, but....

I will have it back tonight and I will test drive it for a few hours.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Thats a bummer! At least they fessed up and will be responsible....hopefully. I would suggest that you get everything in writing, ie. what the did and what they did to correct the problem. Call another transmission shop or Toyota for that matter and tell them what happened, see if the shop that screwed up gives you the same info. Good Luck and hope to see you in Ouray.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you have this done?
Its a local store (not a chain) that I have been dealing with (same people) since 1991. They are honest and in the past have been very good to me. They messed up and they admitted it. They are taking full responsibility for it if the transmission needs to be replaced now or even in the future. I won't mention their name since I do believe this was an isolated incident. Its the timing that is an issue at this point and not the cost.

I am not sure how fast a transmission can be ordered/installed so that is my big worry. I am really hoping it doesn't come to it. I guess I could bring my PT Cruiser instead, but I think it would be rather challenging ;-)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
This is exactly why I do all my own service work. I dont trust those monkeys to touch my rig.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Unless a local dealer has a tranny on hand, I doubt you'll have a replacement before the Summit. But as you said, drive it around a few hours and see if what they did helped. You might be ok for the Summit, but I would definitely want it checked up on again shortly there after. Can you trailer your FJ out?

I didn't get wrong fluids, but the 4x4 place I went to, to get all my fluids changed out, didn't tighten my RearDiff plug enough. Had to go over all the plugs and make sure they were all tight. It is sad that so many of us can't trust nobody except ourselves.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yikes! I live in Durham. Was it Marco Jacobsen Toyota?

I drive to Greensboro for service.
No. I will NEVER EVER go to that dealer. They are the reason I get my cars serviced elsewhere.

Problem was this local store didn't know about the Toyota WS requirement (I think there is also a Redline product that will work). I thought I mentioned it when dropping it off, but then again I am not a morning person. I am sure the dealer by the airport would have gotten it right.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Most of those special fluids have certain friction properties, so chances are if you drove it, even a lil bit, the gears that were in engaged (1st & probably 2nd) have heat damage to the friction discs. I cant speculate how severe or how long until it completely quits, but some life was definately taken off. At the very least its not going to shift the same from here on out. I would see about having it replaced. If they wont replace have them put the correct fluid in and see if you can get Toyota to warrantee it after the summit.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would think that once it is flushed out well and WS is put back in it will be fine.
I am thinking that I would ask for free trany service for a few more changes, just to make sure all the bad stuff is out.
Once changed out, if it does not work, I would demand a new trans at once. I hate shops that don't read the book, and still work on new cars/trucks. Good thing the FJ ain't electric, a worker could have been killed!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I hate to hear of this! I have had those careless Techs Screw up on simple maintenance too. Hope they do repair any damage that you have later if any!

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Get the whole deal documented. The tranny may not be bad now but it could fail prematurely. I would check with a Toyota tech before getting crazy about it but if it's gonna fail let them (the folks that changed the fluid incorrectly) do the leg work and get it ordered for you so that they have a stake in making this right.

I'd want it flushed a couple of times and replaced with new fluid etc before considering the drive to the Summit. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
I would just drive it and get the fluid flushed again in a few hundred miles. If it breaks, it's on their tab. I wouldn't be too concerned about the gears, only the clutch material. Sounds like you didn't drive it much.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They replaced the fluid and reset the computer. I then drove it around for 50 miles - some side roads, some traffic, and some light highway. I noticed that 2nd gear and up were all functioning normally. I accelerated between them and it all sounded right. Unfortunately I can't say the same about 1st. It bucked several times when I had to go from a stopped position. I also noticed a rattling tin can sound when I really pushed it to accelerate quickly in 1st. No sound once it shifted into 2nd and beyond. I then did some hill testing and chose a relatively easy one. I had it in D with no brake. It stayed in position for about 5 seconds then it slipped into Neutral and started rolling back. A second later I could feel it re-engage 1st. Not good. I then did some more acceleration tests in the parking lot. The rattling sound was there. Also right after the second test I did it gave a big violent lurch. I then decided the testing was over and drove it straight back to them. Tomorrow it will have to go into the dealership and have the tranny replaced. I have no idea how long it will take. Anyone have any experience with that?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would just drive it and get the fluid flushed again in a few hundred miles. If it breaks, it's on their tab. I wouldn't be too concerned about the gears, only the clutch material. Sounds like you didn't drive it much.

DEWFPO
This is an automatic and the rattling tin can sound tells me its in deep trouble. Sigh... My 89 Camry's transmission also died at 60,000 miles. While my 2000 PT Cruiser is at 106,000 miles with a perfect tranny. I am cursed. And before anyone asks, I replace the fluids regularly. On the Camry it was as recommended and after that incident at least once a year for the transmission fluid.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
If your already having this much trouble with it, it sounds like it is toast. Better you found out now than on your way to Ouray. Jeez, I wonder what kind of fluid they put into it. That didn't take long.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your bad luck with the tranny. However, I believe that you should post who did the service. Not for the reason that most think, but rather to credit a GOOD service department for first admitting the error...and second for standing behind their service.

The bigger man is always open to admitting to being wrong on occasion and that is to be respected.

If I lived where you do, I would then consider using your mechanic as I feel that I could trust them to do the right thing when the situation arises.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
keep all documents and names to cover yourself

1 - 20 of 60 Posts