Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

When did you have your Transmission Flushed?

• Earlier

Votes: 3 4.9%

Votes: 3 4.9%

Votes: 11 18.0%

Votes: 14 23.0%

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • later

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
And today I tried, one local dealer and was told by mechanic a service bulletin recommends against flush. He offered a drain and fill only.

I am a little conflicted but will continue to search.
I'd recommend you perform the DIY transmission flush as outlined in several threads including the "shuddering transmission" thread . If you can change your own oil, you can flush the trans in the FJ.

I used 3 gallons of fluid (I used Valvoline Maxlife ATF and had great results) and it came out cherry red by the time I was done. The instructions on this forum are spot on.

I also installed a Hayden 679 transmission cooler to keep the new fluid from getting cooked. You can add a cooler at the same time and kill two birds with one stone since you'll have your lines unhooked anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Actually around 36k, but then again around 65k, I'm at 77k and plan to flush again at 100-120k. When I do this I replace the filter/screen, so I can see if there is normal or abnormal wear of friction materials, thrusting/bearing surfaces and gearing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's been awhile since I've been on the forum for some advice, I'm glad that I checked in again! I actually just went through the nightmare of being rejected and redoing my password only to be rejected again after writing a lengthy post and hitting enter!

I bought my 08 FJ in January with 98k on her. Then after discovering this forum and reading about the shuddering transmission, I got a bit alarmed. I was used to buying Toyota 4Runners with over 100k and putting another 200k on them with not much worry. Anyway, after spending some time at my local VA hospital I'm back on track to get my transmission up to par. I did some searching for a dealership that had some good reviews of their service departments and couldn't find a single one in the DFW area! So I researched the transmission shops and I think I found one that will do a "flush" for $180. I'm going to visit the shop to make sure it's a flush and not a drain and fill. I really wish I could do it myself but I've had to learn not to push it. I promise I will come back to the forum and share what I learn. There has to be a few other FJ owners in this area that would like to know where they can take their trucks to get honest service.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did my at 70K.

I check with a couple of Xmission places to get a price and they unanimously didn't want to do it and recommended I take it to Toyota because Xmission places did not have machine to flush the cooler and lines. I could have done it myself but elected to have it but chose to have the system flushed.

Maybe one of the Toyota Tech members here can chime in.

IMO the drain and refill works if, as most of you do, drain and replace the fluid more often. Any residual oil from the previous change does not have time to cause damage.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I did my at 70K.

I check with a couple of Xmission places to get a price and they unanimously didn't want to do it and recommended I take it to Toyota because Xmission places did not have machine to flush the cooler and lines. I could have done it myself but elected to have it but chose to have the system flushed.

Maybe one of the Toyota Tech members here can chime in.

IMO the drain and refill works if, as most of you do, drain and replace the fluid more often. Any residual oil from the previous change does not have time to cause damage.
There is no need to do a complete fluid replacement if your fluid is still clean. If your fluid is dark purple to black then by all means do a complete excahnge. The word FLUSH is a misnomer as this process is just a fluid exchange. Never let anyone use any chemicals to perform a FLUSH. And finally there is no difference between using a professional machine or the hose and busket method. Both do exactly the same thing. If you are unsure about your transmission or if you just bought the vehicle second hand I would do a complete fluid exchange. A complete exchange can take 20 quarts if the fluid is dirty. This way you know exactly what type of fluid is in your transmission. From that point on just do a drain and fill (4 Quarts) every 30K

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I drain and refill the pan every 10K...which comes to every 18 months or so. Started doing that at 60K and an almost to 100 now. Going to do it again then as well as the cooling ssytem.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm at 29K right now and am thinking about doing a drain and fill when I hit 30, a small price to pay for peace of mind

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Jimmiee ! Sorry, it's been awhile since I've been on the forum. Now that I'm able, I've been trying to get my transmission flush done like you advised me to do. Like I said in my comments, I've been trying to find a reliable and honest service center to get it done. I don't trust any of the dealerships in the DFW area. I went by the reviews from several sources. I think for the most part, their customers are people trying to follow the rules laid out by their warranties. I think I told you about how the dealership tacked on an extended warranty that I made them remove. I still get alert letters telling me to be quick to sign up for the warranty before it's too late. Anyway, after a difficult summer, I'm trying to find a place where I can get the flush done. I found a transmission shop with high marks that said that they have the "special tool" needed to do it, and it will cost $180. I'm concerned about the "special tool" and the low cost compared to the $480 quote from one of the dealerships. As I understand it, it's a pump system that's used. I'm going to go to the shop on Monday to check things out. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Hi Jimmiee ! Sorry, it's been awhile since I've been on the forum. Now that I'm able, I've been trying to get my transmission flush done like you advised me to do. Like I said in my comments, I've been trying to find a reliable and honest service center to get it done. I don't trust any of the dealerships in the DFW area. I went by the reviews from several sources. I think for the most part, their customers are people trying to follow the rules laid out by their warranties. I think I told you about how the dealership tacked on an extended warranty that I made them remove. I still get alert letters telling me to be quick to sign up for the warranty before it's too late. Anyway, after a difficult summer, I'm trying to find a place where I can get the flush done. I found a transmission shop with high marks that said that they have the "special tool" needed to do it, and it will cost $180. I'm concerned about the "special tool" and the low cost compared to the $480 quote from one of the dealerships. As I understand it, it's a pump system that's used. I'm going to go to the shop on Monday to check things out. Any thoughts?
The special tool they are referring to is probably the fluid exchange machine. The flush can be done without it but it does make it easier. The expense from the flush comes from the amount of ATF used to do the flush. The machine has a clear glass bubble that lets you see the red oil going in and the dirty oil coming out. The goal is to get the dirty oil coming out back to a red color. This can take from 10 to 20 quarts depending on how dirty the fluid is.
I would call around and ask how much they charge and how many quarts of oil that includes. Call Jiffy Lube. They seem to have a pretty fair price and they have the machine. Since the FJ has no dipstick it's nice to be able to see the color of the fluid and know you have removed all the dirty oil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The special tool they are referring to is probably the fluid exchange machine. The flush can be done without it but it does make it easier. The expense from the flush comes from the amount of ATF used to do the flush. The machine has a clear glass bubble that lets you see the red oil going in and the dirty oil coming out. The goal is to get the dirty oil coming out back to a red color. This can take from 10 to 20 quarts depending on how dirty the fluid is.
I would call around and ask how much they charge and how many quarts of oil that includes. Call Jiffy Lube. They seem to have a pretty fair price and they have the machine. Since the FJ has no dipstick it's nice to be able to see the color of the fluid and know you have removed all the dirty oil.
Thanks for the quick response! I forgot to ask what you thought about FJ_Ahoy's post about the mechanic at a local dealership telling him there was a service bulletin against doing a flush. I'm glad you told me about Jiffy Lube doing it! It didn't occur to me to ask them for a quote. There is one within walking distance of me. It's a long walk, but at least I'll be able to leave it with them if there is a wait. I'm hoping they will let me watch the process! Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I forgot to ask what you thought about FJ_Ahoy's post about the mechanic at a local dealership telling him there was a service bulletin against doing a flush. I'm glad you told me about Jiffy Lube doing it! It didn't occur to me to ask them for a quote. There is one within walking distance of me. It's a long walk, but at least I'll be able to leave it with them if there is a wait. I'm hoping they will let me watch the process! Thanks again for your help!
Jimmiee, I just got back from having the flush done at Jiffy Lube! It took 16.5 quarts. I took advantage of going during the Cowboys game today so there wasn't much of a wait at all! I was able to watch the whole process and they let me go down in the bay so that I could get a good look of my undercarriage while the flush was in progress. I think I caught it none too soon! The fluid was really dark, not quite black, but close! I'm going back next Sunday to get the transfer case and diff done. The price before tax was $182, then they gave me a 20% veterans discount for a grand total of $155.50 including tax!
I can't thank you enough for your advice!

A quick shout to all you vets out there, don't be too shy to ask if they give a veteran discount! You might be surprised just how many businesses do!

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
My next flush is coming at 150K I will be installing a trans cooler this time since I`m living in the mountains :)

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Jimmiee, I just got back from having the flush done at Jiffy Lube! It took 16.5 quarts. I took advantage of going during the Cowboys game today so there wasn't much of a wait at all! I was able to watch the whole process and they let me go down in the bay so that I could get a good look of my undercarriage while the flush was in progress. I think I caught it none too soon! The fluid was really dark, not quite black, but close! I'm going back next Sunday to get the transfer case and diff done. The price before tax was $182, then they gave me a 20% veterans discount for a grand total of $155.50 including tax!
I can't thank you enough for your advice!

A quick shout to all you vets out there, don't be too shy to ask if they give a veteran discount! You might be surprised just how many businesses do!
Glad you got to watch the process. Speaking of Veteran discounts Auto Zone will give you 10% off. Home depot and Lowes also give 10% and if you get a Lowes Credit Card you get another 5% for a total of 15% off all purchases.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I'll have to look in AllData for that TSB. I've never seen it. Jiffy Lube is a reasonable deal. Go there when it's slow and stick around and watch them do the flush. That way you know it was done and you know your fluid is clean. There are some shady Jiffy Lubes in the country so always try to watch them when they work on your truck.

·
Registered
372 Posts
. Since the FJ has no dipstick it's nice to be able to see the color of the fluid and know you have removed all the dirty oil.
Seriously?? No dipstick?
I just read this thread all the way through and was going to go out an pull the dipstick to check color. Why would they make this with no dipstick?? Weird!

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Interesting.. I just bought this guy, 70,000 miles, I'm guessing a flush is in the near future.. differentials too...
yeah, flush the diffs and transfer case every 30K.

I have 40K miles, going to install transmission cooler and do the flush while the system is apart at 50K miles. plan to flush the transmission every 50k miles after that

21 - 40 of 50 Posts