Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

When did you have your Transmission Flushed?

• Earlier

Votes: 3 4.9%

Votes: 3 4.9%

Votes: 11 18.0%

Votes: 14 23.0%

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • later

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Did mine yesterday in the garage. 12 quarts out, 12 quarts of Toyota WS in, easy peasy. Old stuff with 60,000 miles on it was brownish, no burnt smell to it. Next spring it will be time for coolant flush and then all the fluids are done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jimmiee, I just got back from having the flush done at Jiffy Lube! It took 16.5 quarts. I took advantage of going during the Cowboys game today so there wasn't much of a wait at all! I was able to watch the whole process and they let me go down in the bay so that I could get a good look of my undercarriage while the flush was in progress. I think I caught it none too soon! The fluid was really dark, not quite black, but close! I'm going back next Sunday to get the transfer case and diff done. The price before tax was $182, then they gave me a 20% veterans discount for a grand total of $155.50 including tax!

You have a kind Jiffy Lube near you....I just inquired at my local J-Lube....When I asked if their fluid was WS compliant/equal, I drew a blank face. They did not instill any confidence in me.

I also have a valvoline, in my area, across town, who I called and they were familiar with their product advised Valvoline Max Life and per MSD sheet, seems legit, and I've read good from other folks , http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

No Toyota dealership, wanted to do a fluid exchange for me locally. I think they were thinking flush, and I do not want a flush (pressurized )....I just want old fluid out with new fluid in, via exchange. Simple.

I will probably go Next Week to Valvoline, I was able to barrow a snapon Solus Ultra scanner. It does read ATF Temperatures, 2 readings for the two sensors inside. I tested it out, when my friend brought it over. My FJ had been parked for nearly an hour, hence the two temps reading the same. I did leave scanner tool on, and drove around the block. Second ATF 2 Temperature, moved more up and down in temperature thus it has to be the TC temp. The ATF 1 Temp, went up more slowly and consistently.

Lastly, thank you to all who have posted, its a such a great wealth of knowledge this forum....Jimmie, you are the man and always glad to read your inputs

·
Registered
753 Posts
Got mine done today at my local dealership. Pretty much the only maintenance the FJ has seen there besides the once over they did for me when I bought it from the first owner 2 years ago, and the seat belt recall.

Dealership price was 299 before discounts, and I used a 20% off coupon to knock that down $60.

Receipt shows 12 quarts, hopefully that's what they did. They indicated they run it through the machine at low pressure to pump old out, new in.

This pretty much wraps up regular fluid maintenance (coolant, both diffs,TC, oil multiple times, amongst other maintenance items -- have not done power steering fluid or brake fluid as yet) having had everything done since I bought my 2007 used 2 years ago with 76k on it when I bought it from the previous single owner. I'm at 96k now.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with anything other than the Toyota WS fluid?
I know it's "special", but I figured someone makes something comparable/equivalent.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just did a drain and fill , three times, 11.75 quarts total with Valvoline Max Life ATF. Final fill of 4 quarts. I let their quick lube shop do it across town. I was intending doing the fluid exchange via machine at $149. But their machine can only insert fluid via the dipstick. I spoke with manager, and told them when I spoke on the phone I was told I can get the Fluid exchange machine on my FJ cruiser. He apologized, but did offer to do a drain and fill until it came out Red for $84.99, no brainer. ( considering its $7.19 at auto zone per quart )

1st 4 quarts come out purple-ish, maybe like blood looking before oxygen hits it, ( mind you I had WS fluid, 4 qt drain and Fill a month ago ) no burnt smell.

Filled with 4 quarts of max life, drained that out, come out more reddish but still dark purple. It look speckled of two colors.

Filled another 3.75 quarts of max life, drained that out, come out much more red, but not bright red.

Had me start the car, and go from Park to L, and back up again. Turn the car off.

Did another fill one more time, 4 quarts of max life , drained that once more, and it looked the same way it went, pretty ruby red.

Filled it once more with 4 quarts, and plugged me back up.

A total of 15.75 quarts where used.

I Just got home, 25 minute drive with traffic, 14 miles. I will hook up the scanner and measure ATF temp , to get into that sweet spot of
of 115-130 degrees at idle before I check fluid for appropriate level. This probably won't happen till Sunday , I had to return scanner to friend (its a tool for his livelihood), but the FJ can sit till then.

I did try to replicate the , at least 3 times on the way home, the hesitation around 20-25 mph, 1400rpm-2000rpm range where I felt shudder from 2-3rd gear. So far so good !

Hope to get scanner Sooner than later to level it out. Saturday can't get her soon enough.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got the scanner back for tonight, started the car up and waited for it to idle up. Upon my return it was at 118 degrees, so I got busy. Minor spill on the floor/and hand, but most went into blue bucket. It came out like fast and wide streamed, narrowed down to straw like thickness and eventually slowed to trickle. I transferred into an empty vitamin 20 oz bottle, I'd say 9-11 oz came out, close to a third of quart over fill. Got it the slow trickle and plugged it right back.

1/3 of a quart isn't to bad of an overfill, it probably could have stayed.

Thank you all.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi All, its been a month, and 2000 miles later....Shifting is smooth. However I noticed my check/ overflow plug seems wet from transmission fluid and a small quarter size splat of ATF on garage floor. I believe the overflow plug may be bad.

My question is, can I just simply replace the overflow plug....I intend to get it back to temperature and do a level check, but switch out the old for a new one.

What is the correct part # for this, and does it require a crush washer ?

The diagram not sure which would be the one I need.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
The drain plug bolt is probably fine. If it's leaking just replace the washer.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I have a 2007 TRD SE, owned it since new. I got around 145,000 on it. I have had the shutter for awhile and read on this forum that a full flush may solve the problem. So I had it done at the local Toyota Dealer here in Vancouver Wa. $400.00 and two hours and the shutters gone. Try the full flush I think it will solve the problem.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts