Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Fj and have never had an issue with it. Last week my battery went out and I bought a new one. This week I got my oil changed and on my way home I turned into my apartment complex, when I pressed the gas after turning it was almost like it was in neutral.. I took about two seconds and then it went on like normal.. It has done this a few times but not on every turn... I would like some insight before I take it to a shop!!!!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Definitely notify the place that changed your oil ASAP. They may help you out with info or labor. At least you will have it documented. I had a brake job shimmy issue and reported it to my dealer immediately, so they made it right.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
There have been several incidents reported here where either the vehicle owner or "an oil change place" accidentally drained the transmission oil pan instead of the engine oil pan.

BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE AGAIN, CHECK THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL. IF IT IS EXTREMELY HIGH, ALMOST CERTAINLY THE TRANS PAN WAS ACCIDENTALLY DRAINED, AND 6 ADDITIONAL QUARTS OF OIL WERE ADDED TO THE ENGINE.

Do not drive the vehicle with low transmission fluid level or you may destroy the transmission.

If possible, have the vehicle flat-bed-towed to a Toyota dealer, and have them document the 2X engine oil level and the ~3 Qts of fluid missing from the transmission, and correct BOTH fluid levels.

Then, take up the issue with the "oil change place", have them accept responsibility for a MAJOR FU in writing, and pay for whatever charges were incurred at the dealer.

If you subsequently have a transmission failure, at least you have some evidence that they are responsible.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
OP, any update for us?

We're dying to hear what happened here ... actual transmission failure on a '10 model, or yet another example of mechanical incompetence.

Hopefully you'll be courteous enough to provide closure.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
OP, any update for us?

We're dying to hear what happened here ... an actual transmission failure on a '10 model, or yet another example of mechanical incompetence.

Hopefully you'll be courteous enough to provide closure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts