Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just had a complete brake job with new calipers etc for my 142k beauty that I bought last week. There is some rust on the undercarriage but the mechanic was not too concerned . Famous last words....of course doing the brakes getting a small drip on the tranny fluid. Cannot get to this evidently from the hood area so now I am waiting on the replacement hose for my mechanic to install. looking at about 200 bucks for labor and part installed. So my biggest question is how can i figure out how much fluid is left in there. I do not want to drive the vehicle with this drip. Thoughts on how to measure? Also is there anything t all possible to at least cover the drip until the replacement hose arrives? I don't think so but just wondering. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Where EXACTLY is the leak originating?

There is a section of paired steel transmission fluid lines (Toyota calls it a transmission cooler) lying transverse across the engine bay under and in front of the engine. On the RH end of this section of steel tubing, two rubber hoses connect this tubing to the transmission, and at the LH end two rubber hoses connect the tubing to the transmission cooler inside the radiator.

Is this section of steel tubing what you are calling a "hose" ?

In the rust belt, this section of tubing frequently gets corroded to the point that it begins to leak. The rubber hoses are unaffected by road salt. If you've got ANY undercarriage rust, this section of tubing is suspect.

After replacing whatever needs to be replaced, the only way to verify transmission fluid level is to bring the transmission fluid up to operating temperature, and check that fluid just dribbles out of the level-check plug when the engine is running. If none dribbles out, add fluid until it does.

The specific fluid level check procedure is provided here in multiple threads on changing/flushing transmission fluid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi FJTest,

Thanks for the note. You nailed in on your first sentence. The steel trans lines in front of the engine bay. this needs to be replaced.

"There is a section of paired steel transmission fluid lines (Toyota calls it a transmission cooler) lying transverse across the engine bay under and in front of the engine. "

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2010 FJC. Changed the line myself (it's a very simple job) and took the opportunity to change the transmission filter screen and do a fluid flush at the same time (165K miles and I was already there...)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Do you know the exact name of that steel line? I will take care of it myself too and also do a flush and change the screen. Seems easy enough indeed.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
100 Posts
I just did this last weekend and posted about it on another thread. Easy enough aside from the bolts being rusty and the tips on the little hose clips breaking off. Definitely not a $200 DIY job but I suppose if you don't want to get your hands dirty, not bad. As long as they top off the transmission fluid - at temperature - too, it's worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts