Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing that sometimes (infrequent) at a stop, my FJ will lurch a little. It feels like the transmission dropping down to first gear. Anybody has this problem or know of it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
It is a common artifact in the design of Toyota automatics with A/C. They all do it when the A/C compressor engages. Feels like someone "nudged" you from behind. When it first happened on my wifes Tundra after we bought it, the truck was a day old and I was headed out to slap some fool behind us silly but no one was there.

Now that we have the FJ, it does the same thing and others here have reported the "Ghost Bump" as well.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly what it feels like, I will have to note if the A/C is on when it happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have been noticing that sometimes (infrequent) at a stop, my FJ will lurch a little. It feels like the transmission dropping down to first gear. Anybody has this problem or know of it?
There is another similar problem with Toyota AT's where the drive shaft slightly hangs and slides back into place when the tranny shifts to first gear at a stop. I had this problem with my 2003 4runner. Usually greasing the drive shaft at the slip yoke or spline will temp. fix it. Toyota machines the slip yoke at such a high tolerance to reduce slop that it sometimes hangs up.

Article:

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Drive shaft noise or U joint noise (LEXUS 4/06 TSB page 18)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
The "Lurch" that you are reporting is most likely from the transmission on an aggressive stop. This happens regardless of whether the A/C or defrost in on. Try stopping a little slower and see if you still feel it. Some are also feeling the engine idle speed up when the A/C compression cycles on and it has a similar feeling to the transmission lunge.

A "Thump" that you hear more than feel is most likely the slip yoke. A little bit of grease helps that for a short while.

All of these are considered normal on this vehicle.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Mine did the same thing a few days ago for the first time. Me and my wife turned to see if someone had hit us in the rear. I was going to post the same thing but forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It did it last night again and the AC was off. I did not stop aggressively either. Problem or not?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I also find when you really jump on the brakes for a hard stop it lurches a bit. For the most part I really just avoid these kinds of stops by making sure to leave plenty of room for the guy in front of me and breaking early.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also experienced that same "bump" that only happened occasionally. At my last oil change however, dealer noticed a small leak from the transmission. Warrenty covered the gasket replacement. I'll wait to see if this changes anything.

·
Registered
831 Posts
its not a problem, mine does it if i stop hard or not its just more noticiable if i stop hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mine does it too and every time I am freaked out my blood pressure rises and I am ready to knock the crap out of someone for rearending me..I know I got a anger control problem as well as a yolk problem lol thanks toyota for adding to my stress during the day... I still love the truck lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any word on if Toyota is doing something for the FJ's?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts