Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have searched the forum and other Toyota forums like crazy and I’m seeing numbers everywhere. Last thing I want to do is over torque the bolts and snap or cross thread one. Please assist in helping and maybe some one in the future will see this as well because otherwise the numbers are everywhere.

And if possible could you please list in foot pounds. I have seen 5.16 foot pounds and 3.25 foot pounds and many more. My torque wrench only goes down to 5 foot pounds if so. I even seen someone say 39 foot pounds but this seems a lot.

Is 39 in lbf (ft.*lbf) the same as 39 Foot Pounds?

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Factory Service Manual specifies 39 inch-pounds, (3.25 ft-lbs.).

If you don't have an inherent 'feel' for applying appropriate torque to small fasteners, you better make absolutely sure your torque wrench is accurately calibrated. Stripping out the soft aluminum threads in the transmission housing, or breaking off a bolt, can be a real nightmare to repair correctly.

But more importantly, why do you want to drop the transmission pan? There is nothing in there that requires service, and dropping the pan introduces multiple risks of ATF leakage, stripped threads, broken-off bolts, etc.

Rectangle Font Line Slope Parallel

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Factory Service Manual specifies 39 inch-pounds, (3.25 ft-lbs.).

If you don't have an inherent 'feel' for applying appropriate torque to small fasteners, you better make absolutely sure your torque wrench is accurately calibrated. Stripping out the soft aluminum threads in the transmission housing, or breaking off a bolt, can be a real nightmare to repair correctly.

But more importantly, why do you want to drop the transmission pan? There is nothing in there that requires service, and dropping the pan introduces multiple risks of ATF leakage, stripped threads, broken-off bolts, etc.

View attachment 1176388
I‘m replacing the oil strainer and cleaning the magnets inside the pan and of course changing out all the transmission fluid. But I definitely wanted to change out the oil strainer and clean out the magnets since I’m doing new transmission fluid. Got new cork gasket, oil strainer, o-ring and fluid from Toyota. I’ve only read good things about doing the oil strainer and cleaning the magnets.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I‘m replacing the oil strainer and cleaning the magnets inside the pan and of course changing out all the transmission fluid. But I definitely wanted to change out the oil strainer and clean out the magnets since I’m doing new transmission fluid. Got new cork gasket, oil strainer, o-ring and fluid from Toyota. I’ve only read good things about doing the oil strainer and cleaning the magnets.
There is no tangible benefit to changing the oil strainer or cleaning the magnets ... the transmission won't shift any better or last any longer. Regular changing of the fluid at 50K mile intervals for the life of the vehicle is the best performance and transmission life extender, along with an aux transmission cooler.

The oil strainer is just that, a coarse strainer. It is not a filter, and unless your transmission is disintegrating, there will be nothing on it, and no reason to replace it. There is no real benefit to "cleaning" the magnets, as once they capture any any ferrous debris, it stays on the magnets.

Actually, you're better off returning the strainer and gasket, and using that money towards installing a quality auxiliary transmission cooler.

When you say "changing out all the transmission fluid, you mean flushing the full 12 quarts, and not just the 2 quarts of fluid in the pan?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no tangible benefit to changing the oil strainer or cleaning the magnets ... the transmission won't shift any better or last any longer. Regular changing of the fluid at 50K mile intervals for the life of the vehicle is the best performance and transmission life extender, along with an aux transmission cooler.

The oil strainer is just that, a coarse strainer. It is not a filter, and unless your transmission is disintegrating, there will be nothing on it, and no reason to replace it. There is no real benefit to "cleaning" the magnets, as once they capture any any ferrous debris, it stays on the magnets.

Actually, you're better off returning the strainer and gasket, and using that money towards installing a quality auxiliary transmission cooler.

When you say "changing out all the transmission fluid, you mean flushing the full 12 quarts, and not just the 2 quarts of fluid in the pan?
yes, doing the full 12 quarts, not just the pan

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So I’ve decided not to go through with the transmission strainer and just do the fluid. Thank you and appreciate the help. Will send the strainer and gasket back to Toyota.

Reactions: FJCamper1

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
So I’ve decided not to go through with the transmission strainer and just do the fluid. Thank you and appreciate the help. Will send the strainer and gasket back to Toyota.
Here is your external filter, complete with magnet…..

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If you tow, drive in the mountains, live in an area with hot summers, or do any serious off-roading, adding an auxiliary transmission cooler will reduce ATF temperature by 30 degrees or more, and will extend fluid and transmission life.

Use the $ from the parts refund to start saving for a transmission cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts