Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission shop rebuilding my 2007 manual six-speed is running into issues. They have replaced the synchros and the gear for third. With the car off the transmission will shift into all gears. With the FJ running he can't get into third. All other gears work.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Shifting forks in correct ?
My guess is somethings out of order not letting gears slide for 3rd to engage

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Not assembled correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tranny is still not together. Initially, he ordered a new 3rd gear. Could the gear be slightly different and therefore not allowing the car to be shifted into third. Very frustrating for me.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
The Toyota 6-speed manual is assembled to very tight tolerances, with a lot of selective shimming required during assembly to set the correct axial clearances for all the gear-sets.

If the technician working on your transmission Is just a “parts replacer”, and doesn’t have the factory service manual with the shimming specifications and isn’t making all the precise measurements required to select and install the correct shims, he may be “in over his head”. Has he ever overhauled this specific model Toyota 6-speed manual before?

As previously recommended, the first thing to do is make sure that the gear sets are free to slide correctly to get proper dog engagement. If not, then possibly the synchronizer components are incorrectly assembled. If the gears themselves can slide to the proper positions, then check the shift mechanism (shift forks, etc.) to make sure nothing is incorrectly assembled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts