Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Been reading about the transmission shudder some higher mileage FJs are experiencing. I have a 2014 with 37xxx miles and began experiencing the shudder at 1500-2000 rpm, 25-40 mph during slow acceleration only. Vibrates the entire truck and it has been getting worse over the last month. Took vehicle to Toyota of Glendora today. Mike the service manager called me back about 5 hours later: they felt the shudder as well. They sent diagnostics to corporate and the dealer was given the ok to replace the entire tranny. I am luckily still under warranty else this would have been a $5000 job. They might get it done by end of day tomorrow, latest Thursday. This dealer also fixed a oil return line leak a year ago. Been happy with their service thus far. Just sharing my experience and to other late year FJ owners to keep an eye out for the shudder. Seems corporate is well aware of the issue since they approved the full replacement so quickly. I love the FJ, just don’t understand why the tranny went bad with such low miles.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Wow! Glad Toyota took care of you and to be honest, this is the first I’ve seen this on such a low mile rig. I’ll be curious to hear what they say once the old tranny is out and able to take a closer look.

Have you serviced the transmission or had anyone do it? That’s the only thing I can think of... that the fluid was somehow contaminated at some point. Usually it’s debris that causes the shudder from the Torque Converter when when locking up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I have a 2010 w 100k miles and just started experience studder. What I do ? Should I just take it to toyota?

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You’re likely out of warranty correct? Lots of guys had success with full fluid flush . May want to try that, otherwise experienced independent shop might be best bet. Dealer will be ultra expensive....

·
Registered
241 Posts
The transmission goes bad due to the lack of oil cooler, adding one extends its life big time. However in case of this tranny, it serves duty in all kinds of Toyota vehicle and non Toyota as well and it has superb track record. Many have had good experience with it going over 200,000 miles on the original but all depends on driving environment, style and how many times the transmission was drained. The oil cooler abets greatly in its longevity. Most FJC owners in Australia get one fitted.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A very slight shudder started at 124K miles. Toyota now states transmission service every 120K miles. Before it was no service required. Contact your dealer. Problem solved.

They drained the entire system, flushed it, installed a new filter, gasket, and re-filled with synthetic per the service manual.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi All,
Been reading about the transmission shudder some higher mileage FJs are experiencing. I have a 2014 with 37xxx miles and began experiencing the shudder at 1500-2000 rpm, 25-40 mph during slow acceleration only. Vibrates the entire truck and it has been getting worse over the last month. Took vehicle to Toyota of Glendora today. Mike the service manager called me back about 5 hours later: they felt the shudder as well. They sent diagnostics to corporate and the dealer was given the ok to replace the entire tranny. I am luckily still under warranty else this would have been a $5000 job. They might get it done by end of day tomorrow, latest Thursday. This dealer also fixed a oil return line leak a year ago. Been happy with their service thus far. Just sharing my experience and to other late year FJ owners to keep an eye out for the shudder. Seems corporate is well aware of the issue since they approved the full replacement so quickly. I love the FJ, just don’t understand why the tranny went bad with such low miles.
I doubt that your tranny was bad. Toyota of Tustin diagnosed mine as contamination and did a full service. Problem solved

1 - 7 of 7 Posts