Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happening on an AT, '10 FJC with 6K miles:

Strangely enough, this seems to happen in the parking lot at work and under very low speed driving conditions (less than 20MPH). After putting the FJ in "D," the truck obviously goes but seems to rev somewhat high until it finally "catches" and (what I presume is the automatic shifting) shifts into 2nd. Any ideas?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would say take it to the dealer, if there is something wrong you probably wouldnt fix it on your own anyway so I would just let them do it under warranty.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say take it to the dealer, if there is something wrong you probably wouldnt fix it on your own anyway so I would just let them do it under warranty.
Agreed, it's not too terribly bad but it's definitely noticeable. I'll probably hold off until my 10K check out though.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Why wait and possibly let it get worse?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why wait and possibly let it get worse?
True, true...to be honest, laziness but I guess I need to just get it done.

There is a TSB (#0166-10) for a harsh shift on accel under 20 mph. The fix is an ECM reflash
Do what now? I'm guessing TSB = Toyota Service Bulletin?

EDIT: WOW, you guys are awesome on these boards, found the following:

ECM Calibration: Enhancement to Shifting Performance (T-SB-0166-10)

Some 2010 4Runner, FJ Cruiser may exhibit a harsh shift on acceleration below 20 mph during the 2-1 downshift on vehicles equipped with an A750 transmission. The Engine Control Module/ ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has been revised.

Thank you so much, bl85!!! :rocker:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the dealership, they said I already had the update above, but they cleared out the memory, reloaded everything and told me to give it another shot. :worried:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just got back from the dealership, they said I already had the update above, but they cleared out the memory, reloaded everything and told me to give it another shot. :worried:
I have a '10 FJC with just under 6K. Post what you find out after driving a little. I don't feel any slipping issues but I'd like to know.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have a '10 FJC with just under 6K. Post what you find out after driving a little. I don't feel any slipping issues but I'd like to know.
They told me that since the computer initially adapts to driver tendencies, I should ride around a bit to let it figure things out but so far so good, no hesitation. Maybe I was just driving like a complete p*ssy when I first got it and now that the memory was cleared out, it's adapting to my more recent driving habits?! :p

·
Registered
297 Posts
They told me that since the computer initially adapts to driver tendencies, I should ride around a bit to let it figure things out but so far so good, no hesitation. Maybe I was just driving like a complete p*ssy when I first got it and now that the memory was cleared out, it's adapting to my more recent driving habits?! :p
I did notice that myself. I drove a long distance and was trying to max the mpg for the hell of it and by the time I got home, the FJ was so light on the throttle, I started to think something was wrong with it. Then it was fine later. Strange. I figured it was the computer adjusting for light throttle driving. So I started driving it like I stole it and it's acting a lot more peppy now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did notice that myself. I drove a long distance and was trying to max the mpg for the hell of it and by the time I got home, the FJ was so light on the throttle, I started to think something was wrong with it. Then it was fine later. Strange. I figured it was the computer adjusting for light throttle driving. So I started driving it like I stole it and it's acting a lot more peppy now.
Agreed, but with gas being $3 per gallon, it's hard for me to justify doing that. As it is, this thing rips through fuel.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Agreed, but with gas being $3 per gallon, it's hard for me to justify doing that. As it is, this thing rips through fuel.
No, you're right and I didn't do that very long. In fact, I just bought a ScanGauge II to monitor coolant temp and get a better idea of how long it takes to get up to 181 degrees. For me it takes longer to get to 181 than it does to get to work so my mileage suffers. As a result of monitoring ScanGauge data, I think my thermostat is slow to close and the temp drops below 181, sometimes considerably like to 159 even after it gets up to full temp. It also may be partially open even before it gets up to 181 at startup. I know that if I let it idle for a while (like as I clear snow and ice after a storm) it will never get up to 181. So I may be swapping the thermostat in the near future. Otherwise I frequently practice "Hypermiling". Watching the ScanGauge's current MPG and modifying my driving habits even to the point of dropping it into neutral on long downhills, releasing the engine braking. That part of the ScanGauge is very helpful. Nothing like realtime feedback. I have yet to go through a tank after getting the ScanGauge so I'm still learning about it and the data it gives me.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sounds about right. These computers are learning computers. Advanced cybornetic organisms....oh wait j/k
but seriously they do adapt to the way you drive.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sounds about right. These computers are learning computers. Advanced cybornetic organisms....oh wait j/k
but seriously they do adapt to the way you drive.
I'm beginning to notice that adaptive quality. Today I drove about a hundred miles and monitored the ScanGauge's MPG and temp. Temp held steady at about 184 during highway driving and 181 in stop and go. The mpg did a lot better than before as I drove it to max the current mpg readout. Not only is the FJ adapting, but so am I. I did notice that the FJ adjusts to driving style a lot quicker than my F-150 does.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
No, you're right and I didn't do that very long. In fact, I just bought a ScanGauge II to monitor coolant temp and get a better idea of how long it takes to get up to 181 degrees. For me it takes longer to get to 181 than it does to get to work so my mileage suffers. As a result of monitoring ScanGauge data, I think my thermostat is slow to close and the temp drops below 181, sometimes considerably like to 159 even after it gets up to full temp. It also may be partially open even before it gets up to 181 at startup. I know that if I let it idle for a while (like as I clear snow and ice after a storm) it will never get up to 181. So I may be swapping the thermostat in the near future. Otherwise I frequently practice "Hypermiling". Watching the ScanGauge's current MPG and modifying my driving habits even to the point of dropping it into neutral on long downhills, releasing the engine braking. That part of the ScanGauge is very helpful. Nothing like realtime feedback. I have yet to go through a tank after getting the ScanGauge so I'm still learning about it and the data it gives me.
I have no idea what you just wrote, HA HA HA!!! :rofl: But no matter, as long as you do it's all good!

But I agree, I said fuggit over the weekend, figured I'd sacrifice a tank of gas to get it the way I wanna drive and have been "giving it Hell," driving faster etc. The FJ has really responded much to my liking.

This is interesting. Actually have never owned a vehicle that adjusts to your driving style before. This is good to know.
Neither have I but I can definitely see how it starts to takes shape. My FJ rides so much differently now after the memory was cleared than how it was before that. I think I treated it too gingerly. Now I'm giving it way more juice and it is responding, but YMMV. If you're gettig one soon, I'd personally suggest driving it the way you normally do from day one.

I'm beginning to notice that adaptive quality. Today I drove about a hundred miles and monitored the ScanGauge's MPG and temp. Temp held steady at about 184 during highway driving and 181 in stop and go. The mpg did a lot better than before as I drove it to max the current mpg readout. Not only is the FJ adapting, but so am I. I did notice that the FJ adjusts to driving style a lot quicker than my F-150 does.
As I responded to Kiefffff above, I too have noticed that just since the memory erase Friday, I am definitely noticing the difference in the way it responds. I wish I had known this from day one, but oh well, it was only a trip to the dealership and was free anyway. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wonder if there's a reset that we can do. The newer Mercedes you can do it with just the key and the gas pedal. As far as the comment about driving conservatively for a while I don't think that's it even the Mercedes only determines how you drive with the first 40 shifts.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I wonder if there's a reset that we can do. The newer Mercedes you can do it with just the key and the gas pedal. As far as the comment about driving conservatively for a while I don't think that's it even the Mercedes only determines how you drive with the first 40 shifts.
Most ALL new transmissions these days have an adaptive shift strategy. The transmission adapts to the way you drive. If you drive with a heavy foot the PCM tones down the line pressure. If you drive with a light foot the PCM raises the pressure. If you disconnect your battery (BAD IDEA) the process starts all over aging.

If you own a Mercedes GOD help you! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts