Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking for a transmission temperature reader. I've seen several that plug into the obd outlet and can give you live temperature information as you drive down the road. I'm wondering if anyone out there has bought one of these devices as I need to buy one sooner rather than later. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I was going to add a tranny cooler but most likely will be selling my fj in the next couple of months, so I don't want to go thru the expense.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The scangauge 2 can be programmed easily to give you this info. You can see pan temp and torque converter temp i believe. Will give you tons of other info too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
phone app "engineLink" $6
ebay LeLink Bluetooth obd $35

super easy to connect. just need the equation/formula which I have in one of my postings somewhere here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a BAFX OBD II scanner and Torque Pro for Android setup to show transmission temp, both TCT and pan.
Hi fellow FJ’er! Do u know the PID’s for both TCT and pan? I have 1 on Torque Pro but I’m not sure if it’s pan or TCT.. Thank you !

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Hi fellow FJ’er! Do u know the PID’s for both TCT and pan? I have 1 on Torque Pro but I’m not sure if it’s pan or TCT.. Thank you !
Need to know what model year your FJ is.

If 2010 and later, you need to set up 2 custom PIDS as follows. Ignore the two trans temp PIDS already in TP.

OBDII MODE: 2182
Min value: 0
Max value: 300

Pan temp (trans 1):
((((A*256)+B)*(7/100)-400)/10)

Torque converter temp (trans 2):
((((C*256)+D)*(7/100)-400)/10)

·
Registered
24 Posts

If 2010 and later, you need to set up 2 custom PIDS as follows. Ignore the two trans temp PIDS already in TP.

Pan temp (trans 1):

automatic transmission
basic model 4x
Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts

Pan temp (trans 1):

Thank you so much for your help and time!

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Try these, from another thread on this forum. However, I'm a little skeptical about the 220F maximum. If these work, try changing the 220F to 300F and see if they still seem to provide valid data.

For sensor 1 (Pan Temp):

OBD2 Mode and PID:
21D9
Long Name:
Transmission Fluid Temperature 1
Short Name:
TFT 1
Minimum Value:
Maximum value:
Scale factor:
x1
Unit Type:
°F (there is a degree symbol in Torque)
Equation:
((((E*256)+F) * (7/100) – 400)/10)
OBD Header to use:
left blank

For sensor 2 (Converter outlet temp):

OBD2 Mode and PID:
21D9
Long Name:
Transmission Fluid Temperature 2
Short Name:
TFT 2
Minimum Value:
Maximum value:
Scale factor:
x1
Unit Type:
°F (there is a degree symbol in Torque)
Equation:
((((G*256)+H) * (7/100) – 400)/10)
OBD Header to use:
left blank

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try these, from another thread on this forum. However, I'm a little skeptical about the 220F maximum. If these work, try changing the 220F to 300F and see if they still seem to provide valid data.
Everything is working! Thank you so much for the help!Would you know the maximum temps so I can set a alarm on the app and just know..

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
You can set separate alarms for both the pan and TC outlet temps.

After installation of my transmission cooler, I think I set the TC outlet alarm at 210F. Prior to the cooler, I occasionally saw TC outlet temps of 230F during climbing of long, steep grades, regardless of outside air temps.

After Installation of the cooler, I don't think I have ever reached 200F.

I just returned from a trip to Colorado, and logged a ton of data during most of the trip, especially while climbing steep grades at high ambient temperatures. As soon as I download the data and review it, I'll post min and max transmission temperatures, fuel consumption, and anything else of interest.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can set separate alarms for both the pan and TC outlet temps.

After installation of my transmission cooler, I think I set the TC outlet alarm at 210F. Prior to the cooler, I occasionally saw TC outlet temps of 230F during climbing of long, steep grades, regardless of outside air temps.

After Installation of the cooler, I don't think I have ever reached 200F.

I just returned from a trip to Colorado, and logged a ton of data during most of the trip, especially while steep grades at high ambient temperatures. As soon as I download the data and review it, I'll post min and max transmission temperatures, fuel consumption, and anything else of interest.
Ok awesome! Unfortunately they sent me the wrong Trans cooler so I’m doing a trip to Oregon without it, downsized the trailer to a 5x8 with minimal stuff . So now that I don’t have a trans cooler I’m kinda worried..
I do have the BAFX and touque set up tho, I’m gonna try to watch the temp and pull over when needed..
So without the Cooler I should set the alarm at 230 degrees u think? Thank you!!!!!!
All your info has helped me so much

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok awesome! Unfortunately they sent me the wrong Trans cooler so I’m doing a trip to Oregon without it, downsized the trailer to a 5x8 with minimal stuff . So now that I don’t have a trans cooler I’m kinda worried..
I do have the BAFX and touque set up tho, I’m gonna try to watch the temp and pull over when needed..
So without the Cooler I should set the alarm at 230 degrees u think? Thank you!!!!!!
All your info has helped me so much
Since temperature rise is exponsential keep an eye out when numbers start to hover around 200 as the rise after that is rapid and the worse part is that it takes its merry time to come down. For cooler 679 is best fit and performance and the same one is available with a thermostat in case you live in a colder region, its the 699 model.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts