Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Pulled tran code 2714, same thing homedad had.

Kurts not even here and he fixes things.:lol: Hope you're back on the road soon MissFJ.:)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Any updates Miss?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
New solenoid installed today, still shudders :( :(

Calling yards tomorrow to see if there are any transmissions lying around! Otherwise, driving it (with lots of flushing) as is until it blows, rebuilding it, or buying a new one. Darn it.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear. That sounds expen$ive...

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
The solenoid fix got rid of the code, but the shudder got worse and does it between all gears now (no codes). Every time I mention torque converter to Tim he shakes his head :shrug03:. Torque converter, solenoid, clutch packs all prolly contributed to the failure, but to quote others the tranny is "****ed"

Tim found a transmission at the yard. 10k miles, $1900 includes 3 year warranty and it came with a transfer case.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
hehehe, I was about to comment on this but too late. Sometimes nothing beats just replacing the problem part as that will renew your confidence in it for roadtrips. There's no telling what kind of damage was done inside. Now you can gut it to find out what was amiss.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes a few extra $$$ to be safer than sorry. The amount of shavings seen when the pan was dropped wasn't alarming, but that doesn't mean theres a bunch clogged up in there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2007 FJ Cruiser 193000K ( Virgin to OFF Roading )

Hi Everyone,
I have been hearing this noise since my last shop transmission flush and fill, never had this high pitch noise before, I need your input into why all of a sudden it started to make noise. I am thinking it could be the filter as I never replace it since new and its clogging or something major like the pump choking. I appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Verify the ATF level in your trans. If it is good, verify the shop used the correct ATF. Doubt it is the filter.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Verify the ATF level in your trans. If it is good, verify the shop used the correct ATF. Doubt it is the filter.

DEWFPO
I decided to drain the fluid and change the filter. they told me that they use the OE WS ATF suggested by toyota manual, but its a different brand. I will just drain it, I wont be able to flush the whole system as per toyota recomendation, flush and refill and see if the noise goes away, if not, it might be the pump.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Draining the pan only will net you about 3.1 qts out of something like 12 qts. I can't find the exact number at the moment, so don't expect much change in the whine if you're only able to replace about 1/4 of the fluid. If the whine started after the fluid change, I would take it back to shop and ask them what's up. The A750F in the FJ is very robust if not abused and maintained.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
489 Posts
Agree with DEWFPO. You need to go back to the shop and verify that they used the correct fluid and fill procedure - FJ Tranny Fluid fill. I wouldn't drain just the pan and mix in 3 litres of Toyota fluid with an unknown type.

Or maybe the shop simply didn't add enough fluid. They have to follow steps 5 and 6 of the document attached. You can check yourself before going back to them. You need to run a little wire to pins 4 and 13 in the OBDII port. (per the document).
  • Start the engine. You'll get disco lights on the dash.
  • Shift the gear from Neutral to Drive 3 times and the A/T light will come on. It will go out after 2 seconds and come back on when the tranny is warm enough to check the level. (about 10-15 mins).
  • Put in park and don't touch the gear shift. Otherwise you have to start over.
  • When the A/T light comes back on use a 5mm hex socket to remove the overflow plug. (Have a pan ready and remember the force you used to remove it so you know how much pressure to use when you put it back on).
  • A few drops should come out it means the level is ok.
  • If nothing comes out in may be low.
  • If a ton comes out let it go until it stops. (They overfilled it).
  • Tighten the overflow plug. Just snug - Don't be a gorilla.
Note:
You must check the level before the A/t light begins to slowly flash on the dash. The tranny is now to warm and you need to let it cool down and start the procedure from the beginning. But you typically have enough time to do the check before it gets too hot. You can also check the temp with an IR thermometer but make sure you point it close to the bellhousing and not the pan. The pan will be alot cooler. The bellhousing will give you the 46-56C that you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agree with DEWFPO. You need to go back to the shop and verify that they used the correct fluid and fill procedure - FJ Tranny Fluid fill. I wouldn't drain just the pan and mix in 3 litres of Toyota fluid with an unknown type.

Or maybe the shop simply didn't add enough fluid. They have to follow steps 5 and 6 of the document attached. You can check yourself before going back to them. You need to run a little wire to pins 4 and 13 in the OBDII port. (per the document).
  • Start the engine. You'll get disco lights on the dash.
  • Shift the gear from Neutral to Drive 3 times and the A/T light will come on. It will go out after 2 seconds and come back on when the tranny is warm enough to check the level. (about 10-15 mins).
  • Put in park and don't touch the gear shift. Otherwise you have to start over.
  • When the A/T light comes back on use a 5mm hex socket to remove the overflow plug. (Have a pan ready and remember the force you used to remove it so you know how much pressure to use when you put it back on).
  • A few drops should come out it means the level is ok.
  • If nothing comes out in may be low.
  • If a ton comes out let it go until it stops. (They overfilled it).
  • Tighten the overflow plug. Just snug - Don't be a gorilla.
Note:
You must check the level before the A/t light begins to slowly flash on the dash. The tranny is now to warm and you need to let it cool down and start the procedure from the beginning. But you typically have enough time to do the check before it gets too hot. You can also check the temp with an IR thermometer but make sure you point it close to the bellhousing and not the pan. The pan will be a lot cooler. The bellhousing will give you the 46-56C that you want.
I will attempt this procedure tomorrow, how would you know if they use a different ATF? I am a little bit hesitant to trust my truck on this shop now since they install a wrong type of belt into my engine, I just had so many problem after they're maintenance service, unusual noise started to appear on my truck. They service my transfer case fluid, coolant, diff rear and front, and trans.

Thanks for the input! :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
There's no way to know for sure what they used. Best case scenario is they overfilled it with the right stuff. So bringing it to normal level may solve your problem. If you take some out put it in a clear container. New WS is bright red, used is dark red/purple. (Swirl it around and it will look like purple Kool-aid on the sides of the container). If it is almost black then it needs to be replaced.

Worst case is that you are low or even perfectly filled and need to ask shop exactly what they used. If you don't trust the answer you need to bring to someone who likes Toyotas and start from zero. As a little anecdote, I was picking up some ATF at the dealer when I bought my FJ 10 yrs ago. The tech came from out back and asked what I was doing. I told him I was swapping out the fluid in the pan. He said ok but waved his finger at me and said "follow the procedure and be careful". I guess he had seen enough people do dumb things.

I don't know how many miles you have or how your truck has been used. Hopefully it is just the fluid. But you may need to start from square one with a flush at a new place. Maybe you can provide the ATF from the dealer. It's about 15L to clean the system. After that you will have to focus your troubleshooting elsewhere.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts