Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok . did some water crossing latley thought I had everything back to normal, but now I get a bad vibration when in 4th or 5th gear, It seems that the transmission is shifting way before its time to shift. like it will be in 5th gear when only going 30mph and 800 rpm.. and no braking and down shifting as it does normally. any ideas?. and I did do a transmission fush..... capt

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Toyota flushed it with ws,, I made sure

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Since it behaved normally before they flushed it, I would take it back and have them check the ATF level. The ATF temp. needs to be +115<->130F for the level to be correct.

The other option is to disconnect the neg. term. on the battery for at least 30 seconds to reset the adaptives on the trans. It will then begin re-learning your driving style again.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The level was fine did the check myself.. I did remove the neg side of battery just yesterday because of the lights were lit up on the dash, but for a different reason (the charcoal canister switch had water in it so said the code... maybe need to drive it for a few days to teach the ecm again??

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
The level was fine did the check myself.. I did remove the neg side of battery just yesterday because of the lights were lit up on the dash, but for a different reason (the charcoal canister switch had water in it so said the code... maybe need to drive it for a few days to teach the ecm again??
You shouldn't be getting a bad vibration in 4th or 5th. Resetting the adaptives sets it back to the base map that should be smooth, it adjusts from there based on your driving style. I doubt it will get much better. I would make an appointment with the dealer.

I too was concerned about how low the engine rpms were on my 5AT in 4th & 5th with the TC locked but the lowest I have seen mine is 1,000 rpm. To me that is lugging the engine but as soon as I hit the go pedal it either unlocks or downshifts. It sounds like yours may not be doing this.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
346 Posts
This started happening to me this (brutaly) winter, did everything you did so I just figured the transmission was cold. I hadn't noticed it since the weather warmed up but my wife just mentioned it was still happening. She notices it more cause she drive it slower so it takes more time to shift. It only happens to me on the highway between 4th & 5th. I'm stumped I'm going to bring it in after i do the pads?????

.....wait were talkin AT, right?

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts