Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I have just bought a second hand Fj. It drove perfectly yesterday and then camped over night, on start up this morning it made a strange sound. It drove fine for about an hour then it just started reving and I had no accerlation, I think its the auto clutch. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows how much it will cost me?

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Hey there, I have just bought a second hand Fj. It drove perfectly yesterday and then camped over night, on start up this morning it made a strange sound. It drove fine for about an hour then it just started reving and I had no accerlation, I think its the auto clutch. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows how much it will cost me?
Check that the 4WD selector isn't in the Neutral position.
Check the transmission fluid colour & level - any fluid leaks from the transmission or lines?

Sorry I can't help much, but I have a manual...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum! Sorry your FJ experience is starting off on a bad note. They really are awesome vehicles and reliable when maintained. If it's not in neutral as amaclach suggested, you may post a few details like year and mileage to help with diagnostic opinions. Goodluck...:smile

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help, no it wasn't in neutral. My other 4wd's have been manuals with no computers, So this auto is new to me. I've spoken to a few mechanics, and without seeing the car, they think it is the torque converter, which is a hefty repair. Has anyone had this done before, and know how much i will be up for? Roughly? Speaking of fluids, amaclach, how do you check them with no access to the transmission?

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Thanks for your help, no it wasn't in neutral. My other 4wd's have been manuals with no computers, So this auto is new to me. I've spoken to a few mechanics, and without seeing the car, they think it is the torque converter, which is a hefty repair. Has anyone had this done before, and know how much i will be up for? Roughly? Speaking of fluids, amaclach, how do you check them with no access to the transmission?
It could possibly be the torque converter - TBH I've never heard of one failing before, but anything is possible.
I am not familiar with automatic FJs, but I believe there is a filler port on the transmission - there are several threads on changing auto tranny fluid on here.

Check this thread: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/144996-how-do-you-check-tranny-fluid.html

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
If you had a fluid level or internal pressure problem, it would have thrown a code or turned a warning light on. If a forward clutch or torque converter failed it may not have alerted you? Did you try reverse? If it has no reverse, yet you have fluid, that would indicate a pump or flow malfunction, if there is a main pressure sensor, you should have received a code. Make sure the selector is actually rotating the selector shaft at the transmission (do this with the vehicle not running, e-brake on, tires blocked). The only question is; was the engine revving because you were accelerating or it just did it on it's own? were you moving or at idle when it did this? PS, there is dip stick to check the fluid level and unless you know how to check the fluid level, I would advise against it, since you could accidently drain the fluid in the pan if your not careful and refilling is not straight forward either. GL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. CurbCrawler, can you tell me where the dipstick is? If worked on my old 4wd alot, I'm no mechanic but I know what I'm doing when it comes to basic mechanics

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Thanks. CurbCrawler, can you tell me where the dipstick is? If worked on my old 4wd alot, I'm no mechanic but I know what I'm doing when it comes to basic mechanics
There is no dip stick on the FJ transmission. there is a fluid level check bolt on the bottom of the transmission :)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Is it like a diff? It is the bolt you fill it up from?
Its not like a diff. The 24mm fill plug is located on the passenger side towards the top of the trans. There are 2 plugs on the bottom of the trans. one is the drain plug and one is the check fluid level plug. That's where the 115 degree temp comes into play for checking the correct fluid. I`m old school and I just wait for the trans to get a little heat on it and then check it. I`ve been doing this way for almost 11 years and never had a problem. Get the trans warm and pull the check plug out if it doesn't drip and a little fluid to to the fill plug until it dribbles out of the check hole. Your done. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts