Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I recently bought 2010 FJ Cruiser with 152k miles AT I’m the 3rd owner I don’t know if they ever did a transmission flush and change the filter Should I get it flush? I heard if it’s Over 100k miles n never got change it could hurt the transmission And should I go to a Toyota dealership to get it done?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
If you take the time to use the SEARCH function, you will find TONS of information on transmission fluid changes, DIY flushes, torque converter lockup clutch shuddering, and dozens of other transmission fluid related issues.

If you don't have service records showing previous fluid changes, probably the safest thing is to do a series of pan dumps and refills at 5K mile intervals. There is no filter inside the pan, so dropping the pan is unnecessary unless you want to look for debris on the pan magnets.

If you don't service the fluid, you will almost CERTAINLY experience problems with the lockup clutch in the not-too-distant future.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I took mine to the dealership at 130k miles for a full transmission flush because I was developing the famous shudder. I provided my own oil (a full case of blue bottles of Amsoil Signature Series Full Synthetic ATF). It's been 31k miles since and the FJ shifts smoother than when I first purchased it and the shudder never came back. Shortly after that I replaced all the fluids in the transfer case and differentials with corresponding Amsoil products as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts