Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 FJ with 130000 miles. Most are highway miles. Not if that matters. Service done on a regular schedule.
The FJ says it has a 5k towing capacity. Should I be worried about towing 4500 lbs? That's loaded weight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi Relucas81,

I’d be cautious as you are close to the limit. Location/environment will factor in. Will you be towing where it’s flat or mountainous? If in areas of strong, high winds be careful about sway and the limitations of the OEM receiver.

There are several good threads on this topic.
I would take a look a this thread to get started.

Good luck and happy camping.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the one I was thinking of, but little wiggle room there.

Might have to go with this one.

Open to suggestions as well.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,844 Posts
I'm not answering what's good for you. I stated my experiences in that thread linked above and recommend big brakes, brake controller, trans cooler, frame mounted hitch, WD & anti sway, air bags... Anything to decrease your risk factor on a short wheelbase vehicle.

Don't forget to add the weight of everything in and on the vehicle itself. It all adds up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I decided not to use the FJ to pull a travel trailer because I couldn’t get one light enough for my comfort level and still have it be large enough for my family of 4.

The thread Uncharted mentions is great. There are others threads on the forum that discuss the topic, too.

You’ll find everyone has their own risk tolerance, so it’s not a simple answer.

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
Ah damint…...I was thinking 4,950 lbs

I need more coffee.

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
How far of a distance are you traveling? In addition to braking, you should also consider a transmission cooler as well. You should also invest in a Scangauge / Ultragauge or some other OBD-based tool that can monitor your transmission temps.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How far of a distance are you traveling? In addition to braking, you should also consider a transmission cooler as well. You should also invest in a Scangauge / Ultragauge or some other OBD-based tool that can monitor your transmission temps.

Most trips will be 100mi. I'm sure some longer ones.
I was planning on the cooler, better hitch, anti-sway.
Can I do the BBK with 16" rims? I thought I read that you would need 17".

·
Registered
818 Posts
The each tire type will have load rating. I would use that in choosing tires for both.

In general, a shorter sidewalk will be stiffer and have more lateral stability compared to higher profile tire.
When at limits, a lower profile tire will lose traction faster than a higher profile tire.

Also note that as a tire’s outside diameter is increased you will have a decrease in torque.

I am not knowledgeable enough to be able to define the performance difference between the FJs 16” and 17” in a specific tire. I would expect it to be marginal compared the effects of other variables when the tow vehicle and tow trailer are well within the safety limits.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The each tire type will have load rating. I would use that in choosing tires for both.

In general, a shorter sidewalk will be stiffer and have more lateral stability compared to higher profile tire.
When at limits, a lower profile tire will lose traction faster than a higher profile tire.

Also note that as a tire’s outside diameter is increased you will have a decrease in torque.

I am not knowledgeable enough to be able to define the performance difference between the FJs 16” and 17” in a specific tire. I would expect it to be marginal compared the effects of other variables when the tow vehicle and tow trailer are well within the safety limits.
I don't want to have to buy new rims and tires if I don't have to, I just thought with the big brake kit that I would have to upgrade to 17 inch rims to accommodate the bigger brakes.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just thought with the big brake kit that I would have to upgrade to 17 inch rims to accommodate the bigger brakes.
Lol, sorry, I saw that but totally missed that was what you were referring to on the larger rims.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts