Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, feel free to move this if needed. It seemed as if this was the most appropriate sub-forum to post this in.

This is an idea that I have seen on motorcycle forums before, as well as something we do on the circuit for bird dogs/upland hunting. The basic idea is that members who are willing to host travelers post up their names and location. Obviously, you may not feel comfortable posting up your specific contact information on the interwebs, so that can be done through PM's.

When you host, it can be letting someone crash in a spare room, or even let them throw a tent up in your backyard and allow them use to your shower, or just have a hot meal available.

Eventually, if we have a good network set up we can have a map of the United States/Canada with "markers" over peoples' locations that you can click on and display names and contact info.

This is a great way to travel on the cheap and get to meet people you may never have the opportunity to. I always have more fun when I stay with a "local" and get exposed to real local restaurants/bars/places to see. Please let me know what you guys think of this idea and any suggestions/criticisms you may have.

-Teddy

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
86 views and no response! Come on people. There have to be more forum members than just myself that enjoy traveling like this and meeting new people.

Any feedback at all, MODS, possibly move this to general discussion for a few days, or a different subsection to get some traffic?

·
Admin
7,117 Posts
I'm always up for meeting new FJ people.

If anyone is travelling through just shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright! Four months and 168 views and we finally have a response!

Thanks Winterpeg!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Some clubs have a "friends" list. BMW had one and member would indicate such things as mechanical skill levels, facility, and other things like willing to let someone crash for the night. That became an booklet, but I haven't seen that in a while...

This is pretty cool idea. I started a "friends" list in 2007 for SoCal and still have that list in my car. Just member's phone number, city of resident, email, and skill level. Have not had to use it, but it's good to know there are those who are willing to help when the need arises.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad this is getting some attention. Yes, I marked my location on the maps.
Keep it going!

Poorly typed from my phone.

·
Admin
7,117 Posts
Oh, and SUBSCRIBED!

Heck, at the very least it's nice to be able to talk to a local about which hotels and areas to avoid in a city.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Good idea. Only thing I can offer is an old couch to be shared with the dogs and a small driveway but no tools or mechanical skills. But I have coffee. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would feel a little uneasy if someone I'd never met, but has an FJ wanted to crash at my place for the night. Neat idea but, this one just isn't for me. However I would consider other things like lunch, 4X4'n, or recommendations around town. Would also be interested in hunting, fishing, canoeing, etc if the said FJ'er appears normal. Yea a few of our forum members are not quite right. Don't feel bad thats half the fun at the 4X4n events.

·
Admin
7,117 Posts
I would feel a little uneasy if someone I'd never met, but has an FJ wanted to crash at my place for the night. Neat idea but, this one just isn't for me. However I would consider other things like lunch, 4X4'n, or recommendations around town. Would also be interested in hunting, fishing, canoeing, etc if the said FJ'er appears normal. Yea a few of our forum members are not quite right. Don't feel bad thats half the fun at the 4X4n events.
x2

I figured it was a given that my name on this list didn't mean my door was wide open to any FJ'er to come crash.

I thought of it more as a contact person to get some insight into the locale, areas to avoid, areas to check out, coffee, beer, possible addition to a wheeling trip, etc.

Then of course you see what happens from there.....

This is my position on this if someone contacts me. I'm not sure if this thread was meant for it, but that's the only promise you get from me :lol:

:cheers:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I really like this idea, kinda reminds me of http://www.couchsurfing.org but for us. I have some friends that spent a month in Europe last summer, many of those nights in stranger's houses and they said it was their favorite part. I definitely understand the hesitation to invite strangers into your home, but as was said by others, I'd happily be a resource to somebody in my area. I'm not afraid to turn a wrench and I definitely know where to get good beer! :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts