Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was originally posted here: TRD CAI vs. aFe CAI side-by-side comparison

The great debate. TRD CAI or aFe CAI?

The TRD is made by aFe. Besides minor cosmetic differences (red vs. black hoses, TRD vs. aFe logos) they are pretty much the same except 2 things:

1) The aFe has a big hole on the front bottom of the intake box which is there to help it breathe better overall, and possibly drain any water in the intake box. aFe sells a 'plug' that covers this hole, or you could tape it up.

2) The price. The TRD is more expensive than the aFe

Here is a side by side comparison of the entire CAI system:

Pictured at the top is the aFe CAI system with the ProDry-S filter. This is the 'everyday' filter that is maintained by tapping away debris/dust and can be washed but does NOT have to be oiled (aFe sells a ProGuard-7 which needs to be oiled). Below that is the TRD CAI system with the TRD filter. This filter must be maintained by tapping away debris/dust , washed, and needs to be oiled.

Side by side of the intake box:

As you can see, there is a lower area with a hole on the aFe

The aFe intake box filter-to-body opening measurements on the left measures the same (4.25") as the TRD on the right. I did notice a subtle difference in the 3 hex bolts that keep them in place.

The 'trumpet' wide-mouth of the air inlet is also the same measurements (5.5"W-4.25"H). The aFe is on the left, TRD on the right.

This is the boxes upside down. The aFe on left is distinguised by the buldge from the opening compared to the TRD on the right. They use the same 3 points for mounting the box to the engine bay.

Side by side of the intake neck:

Instead of showing you guys redundant measurements of ALL the openings I decided to just take a picture of them. They are exactly the same.

I wasn't too shocked that they were EXACTLY the same in most aspects. Everyone said this but I never saw a side-by-side comparison. What did shock me was the red hoses that come with the TRD had this stamped on it:

:jawdrop:

Conclusion:
I was using the aFe and decided to purchase a used TRD. I decided with the TRD mostly to stay with the "TRD" theme of the Special Edition I have. Some people assumed that the TRD already came with this CAI, it did not. Also, since I installed my snorkel, it helps that I don't have that hole in the front of the aFe and don't need to plug it up. I covered the hole with masking tape to test out any difference and I noticed that at idle, I do not have as much high intake temps as I did with it open. The engine was sucking in the warm engine air at idle. With AND without the aFe hole covered, at local driving speeds I was about 10 degrees over ambient, and at highways speeds I was 2-4 degrees above ambient. The aFe is a bit louder at WOT (wide-open-throttle) when the hole isn't plugged up. With the TRD CAI, I do not notice any significant changes in temps or sound with the aFe with a covered hole.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thank you for the pictures. This is VERY useful.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Nice threat, thanks for the comparison.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Excellent job of documentation and proving what many here have been saying.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
Thanks for the comparison!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Personally, I didn't. I've run both boxes as well...

The aFe did seem to give slightly better MPG's (as monitored with my ScanGuage) with the hole open, even with the slight warm air dilution.

Power: butt dyno says identical... but my butt is calibrated to the nearest 10HP :lol:
Thanks, thats good to know. I'm contemplating getting one, and I always like to stick to toyota engine parts when possible. Good comparison!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
This needs to be made a sticky.......

This is good info!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought the aFe originally because the price was right and I had an itch to mod my FJ. If I wanted HP, I would've saved up for a Supercharger or a different car. If I was worried about MPG, I would've def gone with a different car.

After I decided to get a snorkel, I was considering selling the aFe but a good friend suggested that I should keep both because the FJ is known to be gasping for more air than the stock intake. So instead of patching up the hole in the aFe, I purchased a TRD CAI and I can't tell the different. The only difference I can SEE is on the scangauge where it tells me the air intake temps are about 20-30 degrees cooler sitting at a traffic light on a hot day. This is probably due to the aFe sucking in hot engine air through the gaping hole in front of the box. I can't see this effecting HP unless I was drag racing. In fact, at highway speeds I would think the aFe would be letting more air into the chamber and that would be a good thing. But that no longer applies to me because I can't have the hole in the intake box with a snorkel on there.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Power: butt dyno says identical... but my butt is calibrated to the nearest 10HP :lol:
10HP total or 10HP per cheek? :)

But seriously, thanks for doing this since I've been eyeing these 2 products in an effort to get some better mileage + power in the mountains.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is a great post and documentation. Agreed it should be a sticky. I've been looking at these two CAI's for my FJ and this helps to clear things up. If price is the only major difference (other than the hole) I think I'll go with the aFe.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I plan on purchasing the K&N series 66, which is rated at 11.95% more horsepower. Did you see a significant change in gas mileage?

Kool Moe Dee
I have the K&N 63-9030 and I haven't been incredibly happy with it. I'm planning on going to an aFe when I get a chance.

- Patrick

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I do believe there is a plug that you can get with the AFE that plugs the hole everyone is worried about. I would think that without the plug it is not a Cold Air Intake and that the plug would be needed to make it a true Cold Air INtake. IMHO.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts