Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I installed a TRD Air Intake on my 20007 FJ about 8 months ago. And a Magnaflow Exhaust about 9 months ago. FJ has about 75K miles.
It's been running perfectly!
Last week, we were driving thru some windy conditions, and the dash engine light (along with some other lights) came on.
The FJ didn't feel any different. I did a quick forum search and discovered that it could be the MAF sensor.

I took it to the Toyota dealer. They cleaned the MAF... still no good. So they replaced it. And they cleared the engine light.
Next day, we're driving thru windy conditions and yet again, the engine light comes on.
So I take it back to the dealer. They can't seem to figure out what is wrong???
It's currently at the dealer and they just sent someone to my house, to get all the stock intake system that I had saved from the TRD install.
They want to see if the stock system kicks on the engine light.

Anyone else had this problem?
Thanks!!
-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Have they checked the freeze frame data, what's the LTFT? It would give an answer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have they checked the freeze frame data, what's the LTFT? It would give an answer.
Good question. It's at the dealership right now. I will have to ask those questions.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My TRD intake (original afe style) leaked at the MAF sensor when I first installed it and caused check engine light for MAF sensor. Nothing was wrong with the sensor.

Turns out the MAF gasket was slightly torn causing the leak (bought intake used). Gasket was specific to the TRD intake and only available with the full install kit (~$50). Traced and cut a new gasket out of foam paper, no leaks since, that was 7+ years ago.

Hopefully yours is that simple.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,330 Posts
I have wrestled endlessly with my TRD CAI throwing codes (typically P 0101 and a couple other related ones). It's usually been an air leak, with the hose clamps on either side of the red rubber yolk coming loose just enough to allow unfiltered air in. What made the whole situation worse was the black TRD pipe warped due to heat (desert wheeling) and being only partially clamped. Driving into wind may have produced a similarly hot engine bay....check the pipe for "roundness". My Toyota dealership concluded it is "bad design" lol With a new ROUND pipe, beefier spring-loaded hose clamps, and sensor-safe sealant it's been staying connected...so far. Oh also I swapped the O ring in the MAF but maybe they already did that with the new sensor. GL and keep us posted!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!! All great suggestions.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok... so the dealer deduced that the area, on the plastic TRD pipe where the MAF sensor gets connected, is warped.
They asked me if I had all the stock intake parts, which I did.
They put the stock intake on and everything worked great! No engine light.

The dealer had given me some recommendations on how to fix the TRD situation (which were the same thing as what you guys mentioned above).
The dealer could not technically make these "fixes" as they would not be able to stand by them.

Ok, no problem.

When I went to get the FJ, I guess I assumed the TRD intake would be back on the car. NOPE!! It was the stock intake, with all the TRD parts in a box.

So now I'm debating on either just leaving it alone... or, putting the TRD intake back on and make those "fixes" around the warped area. Ugghh!!

-Jeremy

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,330 Posts
Ok... so the dealer deduced that the area, on the plastic TRD pipe where the MAF sensor gets connected, is warped.

The dealer had given me some recommendations on how to fix the TRD situation (which were the same thing as what you guys mentioned above).
The dealer could not technically make these "fixes" as they would not be able to stand by them.

Ok, no problem.

When I went to get the FJ, I guess I assumed the TRD intake would be back on the car. NOPE!! It was the stock intake, with all the TRD parts in a box.

So now I'm debating on either just leaving it alone... or, putting the TRD intake back on and make those "fixes" around the warped area. Ugghh!!

-Jeremy
You can easily reshape the pipe back to round using a heat gun. I did that AFTER claiming a new one under warranty (one year) so I have a trail spare. Also got a new red rubber connector today to test out the theory it was the wrong one included in the kit (and led to the failure of connection, loosening of hose clamps and the uneven grip causing the pipe to warp when it got hot in the engine bay).

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
so...did they refund the cost of the MAF and the labor to replace that?

This is one of my pet peeves. You are paying for their 'expertise' and you find out they are hacks just like the rest of us where they are using "informed" trial and error and replacing parts.

Also the lesson learned here for you is that you could have done the deductive trial and error just like they did. You changed the air intake...like subsequently came on. Maybe your first step in the future with any change and you are getting a CEL (check engine light) and errors codes is to undo your prior change and see if the CEL stays off after resetting it.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Ok, no problem.

-Jeremy
The question I would ask myself is does the rig perform the same with stock? If so, stay with stock....Toyota engineers are smart. They know what the engine needs to perform correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am so new to it. I know nothing about cars. We live in San Diego and one day when I was doing the Smog Check I was told that the Air Intake my husband installed a few years ago is not certified in state of California. My husband went to the local Toyota dealer and purchase a TRD Air Intake. He was going to let his buddy mechanic to install it. Upon inventory my husband realized, that some parts were missing and brought TRD Air Intake back to the dealer. Dealer gave him discounted labor installment deal and threw the free oil change. And this is when its all started.
They call it "CHRISTMAS TREE".....We went back 3 times and censor was changed twice and it has been 1 year already and nothing is fixed. At this moment my FJ is at dealer and they did diagnostic and cancelled lights and they came right back on! I dropped my car 4 hours ago. Just called them back and told them, what if the TRD Air Intake is faulty to begin with? Called Toyota and they offered to file an investigation with dealer. What should I do?
I read all replies, but did anyone after 4 full diagnostics with 100% positive outcome assumed, that the TRD Air Intake must be replaced?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
they did diagnostic and cancelled lights and they came right back on! I dropped my car 4 hours ago.
Have they checked the freeze frame data, what's the LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim)? It would give an answer.

I have had any problems with mine CARB-approved TRD CAI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have they checked the freeze frame data, what's the LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim)? It would give an answer.

I have had any problems with mine CARB-approved TRD CAI.
You won't believe it! They changed sensor for the THIRD time! I think I will just file a complaint with Toyota and let them start pulling their heads out of their a---s! Pardon my French :grin

·
Registered
125 Posts
Had the same thing happened on my 2007 FJ (TRD) ,driving up snoqualmie pass all the dash lights came on ,stopped and checked the Fluids and belts ,every thing ok ,checked into the hotel and started the FJ to find a garage and all went to normal.# days later and about 100mh north of salt lake city same thing all the dash light on again,brought the FJ to a Auto repair(my long trusted Enginuity Auto in Murray ) had some brake resurfacing and a couple other services performed ,besides cleaning the maf sensor and telling me to use the oil on the K+N filter very sparingly (which was the cause of the dash lights to come on)nothing was wrong with the sensor and there was no intake leak at all!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,330 Posts
Per my post #8 a year ago I swapped the red rubber pipe connectors and have had zero problems with codes since then, including two trips to Moab for hi heat rockcrawling. The dealership said they’d heard there was a problem with some of the red rubber cuffs and my own comparison showed the replacement was a bit taller (on left in pic). Perhaps the slightly better overlap provided enough surface contact to create a solid connection. Just wanted to post my findings in case this helps someone sorting out a persistent Christmas tree!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Per my post #8 a year ago I swapped the red rubber pipe connectors and have had zero problems with codes since then, including two trips to Moab for hi heat rockcrawling. The dealership said they’d heard there was a problem with some of the red rubber cuffs and my own comparison showed the replacement was a bit taller (on left in pic). Perhaps the slightly better overlap provided enough surface contact to create a solid connection. Just wanted to post my findings in case this helps someone sorting out a persistent Christmas tree!
I have been recently having the same problem with my TRD intake and would love to know where you got the slighlty longer rubber couplings that ended up fixing the problem. Thank you !

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,330 Posts
@JakeMiller11 You’re getting P0101, P0102 codes too? And the hose clamps are staying tight/in place? The longer red cuffs are, apparently, simply the newer version...guessing that TRD knew and corrected the problem. I went back to my dealership (where I bought it) and they gave me the new cuff under warranty. Give that approach a try and show them my post. If they won’t warranty, then try to order the cuff yourself, either from a dealership or a parts dealer like Cool Springs Toyota (a forum sponsor). Let me know how it goes, and GL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts