Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a fan of heavy wheels or very common wheels. In my search for a clean wheel that doesn't weigh a ton and has the right back spacing "5in". I also wanted a wheel that was narrow 7.5-8.5in IMO is the perfect width.

The TRD wheel seemed like the natural choice it had everything above and didn't cost an arm and a leg (only an arm). I shared my thoughts with TCao on wheels on a recent visit to my shop. We both got together and ordered wheels from Shannon at Champion Toyota. With shipping the wheels came out to around 135-140 each. That was cheaper than any local dealership could or would do with tax and all the other BS.

The next step after having done bead locks in the past and knowing there benefit esp. for someone who likes to air down to 5-10psi on a regular basis. Not to mention they help protect your pretty rims from rock rash. A bead lock ring is a little cheaper to replace than a whole wheel. I talked my self into bead locking the factory rims. TCao was already on board for this.

I took a trip down to visit Bones at OMF these guys are awesome they can add a bead lock or even a simulock to almost any wheel. They are not cheap but when you consider what a good bead lock wheel goes for they are not that bad.

Here is how mine are going to look, I thought about getting the wheels powder coated afterwards but I kind of like the silver. I'm also going to get the aluminum doom bolt protectors. These will take my 7.5in wide wheels to an 8.5in wide wheel and keep my beads locked down.

I just can't decide plain rim lock or the one with scalpes?.

Sorry these pictures were taken with my phone.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I will discuss your options once I have aired my question. :)

Why not go with internal beadlocks? Staun, etc.

Now, for your dilemma...when I first glanced at the options, I thought the scalloped version was awesome. But on the second look, it was too flowery...sort of organic. I like the simplicity and definition of the plain ring...matches the wheels better.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Looks good Jason. Bones at OMF is a really nice guy. Very patient and will take the time to answer questions. They are right down the street from you. I like the scalloped ones, but you'll have a harder time accessing the valves. They have the rock domes to protect the bolts too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I love this look. I was considering doing the same thing with my stock wheels some time ago and just got distracted.

I like the plain ring over the scallop. What is their price range for the job per wheel?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Just modifying the wheel is a little over $200 each. $220-230 I think.

Jason, be mindful that those colors fade really quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
it looks awesome Jason! that nice shinny red will look really nice on your black FJ.

I think the plain ring looks better on those wheels... no the scalpes... no... Dude I don't know man thats a tough one they both look good. At first glance I liked the plain but after looking longer at them the scalpe ring looks just as good, thats a tough one.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Scalloped one just look so purposeful. The plain ring is functional, but looks like so many other faux rings out there... You don't want to be "cute" do you? :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will discuss your options once I have aired my question. :)

Now, for your dilemma...when I first glanced at the options, I thought the scalloped version was awesome. But on the second look, it was too flowery...sort of organic. I like the simplicity and definition of the plain ring...matches the wheels better.

I have never looked into the Staun, so I can't really comment on them. I have used these before on other vehicals and been happy with them. Plus lets face it I would rather look at these on my FJ then have to tell everyone I have bead locks you just can't see them:lol:

I'm leaning towards the simple ring just because the wheels are already busy they really don't need any more help.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love this look. I was considering doing the same thing with my stock wheels some time ago and just got distracted.

I like the plain ring over the scallop. What is their price range for the job per wheel?
200-240 a wheel, not a cheap option but slightly more than a ready made good bead lock wheel.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I've actually looked into the more affordable Inner Airlocks. About $450 for a set of 4. One of the extra benefit of beadlocks is that the rings protect the wheel. But inner airlocks can be moved to a different wheel if you feel like it. Most beadlock companies will not modify a steel wheel anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it looks awesome Jason! that nice shinny red will look really nice on your black FJ.

I think the plain ring looks better on those wheels... no the scalpes... no... Dude I don't know man thats a tough one they both look good. At first glance I liked the plain but after looking longer at them the scalpe ring looks just as good, thats a tough one.
Ya I'm still thinking about it. We will see.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
That's like another $400?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would personally get a rim that was meant to me a beadlock. If you do your mod, I will go for the plan ring. Good luck in your decision making.

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts
I had already made up my mind with just the plain polished rings and you had to show me this:

I do like the red conventional ring on the FJC TRD wheel, especially with polished rock domes. hmmm...decision...decision...

I think I'm staying with plain polished rings so they don't show scratches and fade. yeah, plain polished rings with 12-point bolts. Thanks for posting up the pics.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would personally get a rim that was meant to me a beadlock. If you do your mod, I will go for the plan ring. Good luck in your decision making.
They wouldn't do the rim if it couldn't handle the bead lock. This is nothing new just a differnt wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had already made up my mind with just the plain polished rings and you had to show me this:

I do like the red conventional ring on the FJC TRD wheel, especially with polished rock domes. hmmm...decision...decision...

I think I'm staying with plain polished rings so they don't show scratches and fade. yeah, plain polished rings with 12-point bolts. Thanks for posting up the pics.
I was going to do black but they talked me into red. I might have them powder coated wrinkle finish after I fade these out.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts