Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am creating this Thread along with my Snorkel Install Thread with pics and videos along with step-by-step instructions for those of you that want to attempt these yourself. I completed both installs by myself. I recommend getting help from a friend if possible. It's nice to have company and an extra set of hands when needed, but not necessary.

This is designed for the 2010+ Toyota FJ Cruiser / 4Runner.

I installed this on my 2014 FJ 6MT. Toyota does NOT have this listed as a Prat for the 2014 Models, and will NOT install it on your 2014 FJ.

The TRD CAI fits!!!

It did throw a MAF Sensor Trouble Code after about 100 miles. Took it to Toyota and they Reset the code and everything has run fine for 500+ miles. The mechanic told me this was a common problem with ALL of the CAI's on Toyota's but nobody talks about it. Typically once the computer has time to learn the new flow rates, everything is fine.

Here is the Toyota Racing Development Cold Air Intake
Part Number: PTR03-89100

In this pic you can see the following:

Upper Air Box
Lower Air Box
Hump Coupler (Big, Red)
Throttle Body Coupler (Small, Red)
Air Inlet Tube
Air Flow Accelerator
TRD Air Filter P/N:pTR43-00083 (in box)
Literature Bag
Hardware Bag

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the contents of the Hardware Bag:

#52 Hose Clamp
#56 Hose Clamp
#72 Hose Clamp(s)
Plastic Nipple, 1/8"
Plastic Nipple, 5/8"
Hose, 5/32" ID x 20" (Vacuum Line)
Convoluted Split Loom, 15" (for MAF Sensor)
Air Box Clip(s)
Filter Minder Grommet (in bubble wrap bag)
Filter Minder
Nylon Strap(s), Tree Mount (Didn't Use)
Nylon Tie Strap(s), 6" (Didn't Use)
Bracket, Wire Harness (Didn't Use)
Plug, Plastic Tree Clip
Bolt(s), Socket M4 X 0.7 X 8mm (for attaching the MAF Sensor to the Air Flow Accelerator Tube)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are (2) pics of the Stock Engine Compartment from the Front and Passenger Side of the FJ:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disconnect the (-) Negative Terminal from the Battery (Red Arrow).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove Factory Components:

1. Remove engine cover by lifting the front of the cover off the (2) studs and pull forward to disengage the rear mounts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2. Disconnect the MAF plug and wire harness clip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3. Unclip the remaining wire harness clips.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4. Loosen the factory hose clamp at the throttle body with 10mm wrench.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5. Disconnect the vacuum line from the resonator.

Disconnect the crank case vent.

Remove the M6 bolt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
6. Unclip and remove the air box top with the intake tube and resonators.

Remove the OEM resonator mounting bracket by removing the M6 bolt.
(I did NOT reuse this bracket)!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
7. Remove the OEM Filter.

Remove the (2) M8 bolts from inside of the air box.

Remove the M8 bolt on the outside of the air box towards the firewall.

Remove the air box by pulling out toward the driver side.

Pic of air box completely removed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
8. Unwrap the electrical tape from the MAF sensor wire harness and remove any plastic clips within the harness,

Be careful NOT to damage any of the wires inside of the wire harness. You do NOT need any tools to do this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
9. Remove the MAF sensor wires from the main wire harness loom, Bring the wires out of the split loom all the way back to the 90 degree plastic clip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10. Once you have the MAF sensor wires separated to the main wire loom, use electrical tape and create a perpendicular 90 degree angle from the main loom creating a "T" and use the supplied wire loom to contain the MAF sensor wires. Wrap ends with electrical tape as seen in the pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
D. Install TRD Cold Air Intake

I Skipped steps 1-3 using the supplied zip ties, and waited until I had everything installed and went back and used my own zip ties to place the wires where I wanted them, out of the way.

4. Remove (3) rubber grommets and sleeves feom the OEM lower air box. To remove, first push out the sleeve, and then you can flex the rubber grommet to remove.
(Save these because you will re-use them in the next step)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
5. Install the (3) OEM rubber grommets in the TRD lower air box. Then install the sleeves with a dead blow mallet. You can install the air box clips now, or wait until the lower air box is bolted to the fender wall so that you do not loose them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OPTIONAL STEP:

If you are NOT mounting a Snorkel, you can skip this step.

If you are mounting a Snorkel to the TRD CAI, I recommend this step.

SEALING THE AIR BOX:
You can place a small amount of RTV Silicone around the air box drain to seal the air box. Place the rubber grommet and sleeve in place, and then just smear in enough silicone to seal it before mounting the lower air box to the fender.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Steps 6-11 I do NOT have pics of. The install was done at night, with intermittent rain, and I could not get any good pics.

You basically need to remove the bolts and clips from the inner fender well to Remove the air inlet duct and attach the Air Flow Accelerator, or the Snorkel Connector Hose, and replace the inner fender.

Unfortunately, this is probably the most difficult part (attempting to remove the plastic clips. I was told there is a "V" type screw driver available that will greatly assist in their removal. Each clip is about $4 at Toyota.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
12. Insert the air flow accelerator into the air intake hole in the inner fender.

You can do this by squishing the air flow accelerator into the hole. It is very pliable. The TRD logo should be facing up because this is how it attaches to the air box.

SNORKEL INSTALL ONLY:
I purchased (2) 5" Stainless Hose Clamps, and cut of the Snorkel Connector Hose to fit INSIDE of the TRD Air Flow Accelerator Hose. I used one clamp to attach the hoses together inside of the inner fender, and the other clamp to attach the Air Lfow Accelerator to the TRD Lower Air Box (inside of the engine compartment. This MUST be completed BEFORE mounting the TRD Lower Air Box to the fender well.

Pic 1 is view from inside of the fender well of the TRD Air Flow Accelerator Hose. Place the 5" hose clamp BEFORE connecting the Snorkel Tubing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Srep 12. Continued

Pic 2-3 are views of the TRD Air Flow Accelerator Hose from inside the engine compartment. You can see the Snorkel Connector Hose inside of the TRD Air Flow Accelerator Hose. Place the 2nd 5" hose clamp BEFORE mounting the TRD Lower Air Box to the fender well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts