Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAI arrives on Big Brown today! I will install with the help of my 16 y.o. sons but have a question for the gurus. The install instructions refer to torque spec's for various fittings. Is it necessary to use a torque wrench for success or sound judgment?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
393 Posts
CAI arrives on Big Brown today! I will install with the help of my 16 y.o. sons but have a question for the gurus. The install instructions refer to torque spec's for various fittings. Is it necessary to use a torque wrench for success or sound judgment?
Thanks in advance,
Mike
You can easily get by without a torque wrench, but it helps if you are an experienced mechanic. The nuts, bolts, studs etc are small and you are dealing with a lot of plastic parts. The danger is over tightening fasteners and either stripping threads or breaking parts. If you do use a torque wrench, get a small one that reads in inch-pounds. Larger wrenches are not accurate at the very low end of the scale. The instructions also call for a 4mm deep socket which you will discover is nearly impossible to find anywhere. You can improvise with some tape and a pair of vice grips.

The installation is very easy. It will take you longer to remove the old intake than to install the CAI.

Good luck with it!

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
You can get by without a torque wrench, I didn't use mine with my install.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, kinda what I thought. Guess this means more $ available for the next mod....

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
One thing that you should always have on hand is a tube of Loctite Blue Threadloc (for those occasions where you don't have a torque wrench, and you want bolts to stay tightened)...

Being a Harley owner, I long ago befriended Loctite Blue Threadloc... :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks all, kinda what I thought. Guess this means more $ available for the next mod....

Hmmm, well yes and no! A torque wrench is a mighty good thing to have on hand when you do want to torque something with precision. You can't really go wrong buying tools. Tools are used for work and work is good! Yes, there are priorities I know, but a good set of tools is essential IMO. You can get by without the torque wrench for this job, but anything more than this kind of work and you will want to have one, or two. I bought a big torque wrench just for tightening wheel lugs. They are fairly inexpensive tools.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
You also will not need a 12 point bit for the stud replacement (you can use a pair of vice grips if you are careful) and be careful not to over tighten the nut on the bushing with the two studs. If you break them off it will cost you about $40.00 for another install kit. It is really easy to install if you just take your time and be careful.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Install went easily, no MIL's and the sound of WOT is amazing. Onto the high pitch horn upgrade in the morning..

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You should be able to squeeze out a few more MPGs out of it too.:bigthumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.