Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this isn't to vague but here is my question.

I got the newer model of the trd cold air intake. while installing it I got to a section about removing the old intake. it said something along the lines of "for fj cruiser lower fender and unscrew intake tubing mounted to outside of engine compartment."

Now when I look in the engine compartment I have taken everything out, however when I look through the hole where the old intake and new one pull air from there is a plastic tube on the other side with foam around the edges, my friends say that that stays in, however I do not believe it does. who is right, and if I should take it out how the hell do I do this part, the instructions are so vague.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
my guess is you'd have to remove the wheelwell liner to access the inner fender area. don't know if the tube stays or goes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That tube insider the fender should be retained. It is added so that the point of entry for the air moves a bit further back and lessens the chance of injesting sand or dust

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just installed the TRD CAI today on a 2010 fj and the instructions say to remove the old part by removing the inside passenger wheel liner and then take out the old plastic tube by removing two bolts. The new one is just a piece of rubber that slips through the hole and then attaches to the CAI box. Removing the wheel liner is the hardest thing to do out of the whole job! I spent most of the day trying to do this without breaking any clips and in the end I had to bend the wheel well back a bit just enough to get a wrench in to remove the plastic tube because I couldn't fully remove the liner. The end result is a smoother acceleration and a quieter ride at normal driving speeds but a great sound at full throttle!:cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
What makes me wonder about the new TRD (K&N) CAI is with a stock set up you get no engine codes, with old style TRD (AFE) CAI you get no engine codes yet with the new TRD CAI you get engine codes while having the SC which draws more air!! It makes me wonder why or how the new TRD (K&N) CAI can't handle the new draw of air the motor requires with a SC or if its even better than the stock set up which throws no codes when tested for superior draw from a SC. Makes you wonder doesn't it??

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can't comment on the SC seeing as the 2010 is still in development and I know that there is no hope in hell of convincing my wife we need it, as I had a hell of a time getting her to agree that the only thing left too do is the TRD Big Brake Kit for pulling our boat this summer. I can say that at normal driving speed the TRD exhaust and CAI sounds alot quieter and smoother enough so that even my wife noticed the difference. With a WOT the sound is sweet!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just installed the TRD CAI today on a 2010 fj and the instructions say to remove the old part by removing the inside passenger wheel liner and then take out the old plastic tube by removing two bolts. The new one is just a piece of rubber that slips through the hole and then attaches to the CAI box. Removing the wheel liner is the hardest thing to do out of the whole job! I spent most of the day trying to do this without breaking any clips and in the end I had to bend the wheel well back a bit just enough to get a wrench in to remove the plastic tube because I couldn't fully remove the liner. The end result is a smoother acceleration and a quieter ride at normal driving speeds but a great sound at full throttle!
How do you like the new TRD CAI for the 2010 FJ? I am debating whether to get it or not. Do you notice a significant difference in the TRD CAI compared to stock? Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
So far I love it! The sound when you accelerate at WOT is awesome! It accelerates so smoothly. The one thing that did surprise me was how quiet it is in everyday driving or at idle, you don't hear the exhaust noise as much inside the cabin. Even my wife noticed a difference when I took her for a ride before I told her that I just installed the CAI.
I must admit I originally purchased it for the looks not caring if it added any hp or torque but I am definitely happy with how smooth the engine runs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So far I love it! The sound when you accelerate at WOT is awesome! It accelerates so smoothly. The one thing that did surprise me was how quiet it is in everyday driving or at idle, you don't hear the exhaust noise as much inside the cabin. Even my wife noticed a difference when I took her for a ride before I told her that I just installed the CAI.
I must admit I originally purchased it for the looks not caring if it added any hp or torque but I am definitely happy with how smooth the engine runs.
Great, thanks! It is now on my list of mods. I don't like how the stock FJ accelerates. After I slow down on a turn and hit the accelerator I feel like RPM's sometimes jump...even when lightly pressing the gas. Hopefully this will smooth it out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
134 Posts
You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I took that part out by taking out the wheel liner (also the hardest part for me) and After 3 days of driving I must say I love the new intake. When accelrating the noise is definitely noticable and when flooring it to hear it, it sounds awesome with the trd exhaust.

As for gas mileage I will let you know what I find out after I plug a few fill ups into my droid app. before I was geting about 17.9 mpg with a good mix of highway and city.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I must admit I don't pay much attention to the fuel economy, if I did I certainly wouldn't have bought the fj! It's not the most arrow dynamic vehicle out there.I bought it for looks and how good it looks going from gas station to gas station.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I must admit I don't pay much attention to the fuel economy, if I did I certainly wouldn't have bought the fj! It's not the most arrow dynamic vehicle out there.I bought it for looks and how good it looks going from gas station to gas station.:bigthumb:
That is funny...:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts