Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really necessary to disconnect the negative battery terminal before/after you install the CAI? Just curious...I didn't because I dont want to have to go thru the process (again) of disabling the seatbelt chime & driving in a circle to calibrate the compass, etc...yeah I'm lazy.:)

I didn't get a check engine light after I installed & it seems to be working fine but I'll do it if it's needed.

thanx

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I think it's just a safety precaution. I did when I installed mine but I dont think its necessary.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I did not disconnect mine. There's no reason to.

·
Registered
364 Posts
hmmm, I think I missed that part of the instructions... doh!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Is the CAI electric? I wouldn't do it. I have done some wiring recently and added a second batt. If my neighbors see me driving in circles in our steet again anytime soon, they will probably call the police!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is it really necessary to disconnect the negative battery terminal before/after you install the CAI? Just curious...I didn't because I dont want to have to go thru the process (again) of disabling the seatbelt chime & driving in a circle to calibrate the compass, etc...yeah I'm lazy.:)

I didn't get a check engine light after I installed & it seems to be working fine but I'll do it if it's needed.

thanx
It resets the ECU. The CAI will change the mixture and the ECU is adaptive. Be sure to drive it hard to get the best "learned" mode asap.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Ahh, I forgot, I read about the computer adapting for the CAI-that makes sense. Sounds like a compass reset is in order. Good info Batman

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Under the hood. Labeled ECU.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Nope. No photos. It's the large black box on the driver's side. Pop it open and all the fuses are labeled.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There is also an ecu ignition fuse under in the cabin fuse box (inside driver side, behind the cover that pops off, near where the drivers knee would be).

Hey can you look at your install directions and tell me what screw sizes come with the kit? My install sheet is back in TX...thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts