Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the trd cai I'm looking into replacing the the filter with the afe pro dry, what part number and where to buy it?.
p/n 21-90044 or p/n 31-10114. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I have the trd cai I'm looking into replacing the the filter with the afe pro dry, what part number and where to buy it?.
p/n 21-90044 or p/n 31-10114. Thank you.

Buy the P/N 21-90044, it's the AFE Cold Air Intake Filter
AFE Cold Air Intake Filter

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Thank you. Does everybody agrees.?
P/N 31-10114 is the AFE ProDry S filter for the factory air intake box.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Need a visual reference, here you go.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the one I'm looking for, I have the trd cai with the filter that you need to oil, I want to swich with the dry kind, but how often do you clean and oil the trd filter.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It all depends on how dusty your area is and how much off-roading you do in dusty terrains. I cleaned at 15,000 miles, having the CAI since I bought the FJ new....Then I recently did a clean at 22,000 miles...After traveling through some dusty parts of AZ on my way to Phoenix from Las Vegas...the filter was dirtier second time around, since I've been Actively offroading in the Vegas Area...I think the manufacturer states to do it after 25,000 miles (typically)..

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I thought I read 50,000 miles under "normal" driving conditions in the instructions for the TRD CAI.
I thought i read 15000 roma?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The more frequent the better. I don't think you will do any damage to it by doing it frequently at 5, 10 or 15k.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I thought i read 15000 roma?
Double checking it reads "at least every 50,000 miles to maintain optimum performance. We recommend that TRD elements be serviced every 30,000 miles on off-road and high performance applications." Seems like an awful long time to me. With these dry filter elements how do you clean them when they get dirty...tap & vac?

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Double checking it reads "at least every 50,000 miles to maintain optimum performance. We recommend that TRD elements be serviced every 30,000 miles on off-road and high performance applications." Seems like an awful long time to me. With these dry filter elements how do you clean them when they get dirty...tap & vac?
From the AFE brochure that came with the filter:
- tap the filter and return it to 85% of its original airflow.
- vacuum it and return it to 96% of its original airflow
- wash it and return it to 100% of its original airflow. Run the filter under running water from the inside out. If needed, you can completely submerge it with warm water and mild liquid (dish or laundry) detergent soap then rinse and let it completely dry for a few hours.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
From the AFE brochure that came with the filter:
- tap the filter and return it to 85% of its original airflow.
- vacuum it and return it to 96% of its original airflow
- wash it and return it to 100% of its original airflow. Run the filter under running water from the inside out. If needed, you can completely submerge it with warm water and mild liquid (dish or laundry) detergent soap then rinse and let it completely dry for a few hours.
Makes sense, the thing I like the most about the dry filter is that you don't have to worry about whether you under or over oiled your oil base filter. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts