Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I installed a 77 Series K&N CAI two days ago on my 2011 FJC. Highly recommend it!! Very simple to remove stock system and install the new K&N. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have no exp with running a stock intake on my rig... so take this for what it is worth.

When I picked up my FJ it had the Air Raid CIA on it. which is just a high volume intake but marketed as a cold air. With a scan guage running the intake temp it was almost always 30° or better than ambient air temp. I mention the Air Raid system because it is not in an enclosed box similar to the K&N CIA design.

With the TRD which is in a sealed box the air temp runs around 7° above ambient temp at highway speeds. In stop and go it does go up to as much as 20° above ambient but it will come back down fairly quickly as well.

So in my opinion yup the TRD wins this battle hands down if you are wanting a CIA over just a high volume air filter. And yes the mid range power really comes alive.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Until Toyota or K&N man-up and post HP gains from stock to TRD (or K&N) for the 2010-2011, I would steer clear. TRD did this for the Pre-2010's, but suspiciously no info on the 2010 stock CAI redesign.

You might be throwing $400 at little or no HP gains (which is my suspicion).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went with the TRD because it doesn't void or affect any warranties.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to clarify - the stock intake system IS a CAI. :bigthumb:
Feeling kinda dumb here about the stock set-up...begs the question: Why do so many replace the stock CAI then with K&N, TRD or Afe?

Is it that the stock is not as good as the after-market CAIs?

Appreciate all of the insight!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
First, you HAVE a cold air intake from the factory. All FJs do. They pull their air from the fender well.

Second, all of the intakes on the market that have an open or even semi enclosed air "box, like the K&N, are a step backwards IMO. Pulling hot engine compartment air is not better for your engine.

Stick with the designs that have an enclosed box and pull from the fender.

The reason why people replace the stock intake is because it restricts airflow. The one on the newer engine design, 2010+, is better than the previous stock intake. However, there are slight baffles on the intake tube that restrict airflow for the cause of reducing CAI "noise". A straighter tube without baffles will have a better flow of air through it.

The 2007-2009 intake had this weird S-shape to it that had a lot of restriction compared to say the TRD/AFE intake. The older style TRD/AFE is still a better design than the newer TRD intake. The reason (i am 99% sure) that Toyota switched designs is because the old one did not have a carbon filter on it that stopped emissions from coming out of the intake after the engine was shut off. The new style incorporates this into the TRD CAI. Missing this feature is what made the old style TRD CAI illegal in California.

Also, i would not run a K&N filter on an offroad vehicle that typically sees a good bit of dust. I might run one on a vehicle that only sees street duty though.

Lastly, since you can't really buy the old style TRD intake, i would go with the AFE intake. BTW, TRD contracted AFE to build these as TRD does with nearly ALL of their aftermarket parts they sell. Hence, the two intakes are nearly identical in terms of build minus different badging/colors.

*From another thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts