Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to the forum, having just picked up an '08 FJ Cruiser. I live in CA and bought the truck out of state with a K&N 77 Series CAI. Of course that intake is not CA CARB certified, so I needed to replace it. I decided to get a genuine Toyota TRD CAI, new from a dealer.

<rant on>

So Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, decided that there were some grommets with steel sleeves that one should remove from the stock air intake assembly and install on the ***BRAND NEW*** TRD CAI. Honestly, why create a kit and not include all the needed installation parts in the kit?

For my use case, I obviously don't have a stock intake to cannibalize. So crossing my fingers that I can find some like of grommet that will work somewhere locally. Or off to a junk yard, but they'll probably insist that I buy the whole intake assembly, if I can even find an old FJ.

For a more typical use case (replacing the stock setup), it still doesn't make sense because that person would not be left with a useless heap of plastic that they could not resell or install in another vehicle.

And all this over a couple bucks in components. ~sigh~

Oh, and one more thing. A CA CARB sticker is not included in kit. I have to call the Toyota "Materials Distribution Center" to request a sticker. Any bets on how many people I'm going to need to talk to, how many follow-ups I will need to make and how long it will take me to actually receive my sticker?

<rant off>

LOVE driving the FJ!!! :smile

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nothing wrong with anything Toyota did or what they were thinking. They had no intention in ever to have to deal with smog state to state. Somebody went and changed out a perfectly good legal intake system

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
A-Team Moderator
8,984 Posts
Sold new, 50 State Legal. Ranting about something that happened sometime in the past 10 years is not Toyotas fault.

Try BEASTWAGEN for the pieces. He has a part out thread in the For Sale section.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hannibal for for the pointer to BEASTWAGEN.

So let me clarify since I think you guys are missing my point. First, I am simply annoyed that Toyota couldn't bother to have all the parts needed for installation included in the kit. Second, I was just ranting. C'mon... :smile

Nothing wrong with anything Toyota did or what they were thinking.
We will probably agree to disagree here.

They had no intention in ever to have to deal with smog state to state.
They ABSOLUTELY have every intention on being 50 state compliant.

Somebody went and changed out a perfectly good legal intake system
Yes, that is a fact. And I certainly don't blame Toyota for someone doing that.

Sold new, 50 State Legal. Ranting about something that happened sometime in the past 10 years is not Toyotas fault.
Again, not blaming Toyota for what was done to the car. I just wish that my brand new air intake assembly included all the parts required for installation.

And in the end... I found some rubber grommets and bushings at a local hardware store, so I'm all set.

BTW, the TRD CAI comes with a Filter Minder. I've never owned one. Do they actually work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
691 Posts
That’s the point I wanted to make. When that car rolled out of the factory it was compliant in all 50 states easily. If it was left alone and only maintained and equipped with Factory Authorized parts that control the emissions you would have no problem. As I understand your rant you don’t understand why Toyota doesn’t have a kit sitting on the shelf for you to fix every hack every Tom Dick and Harry with a marketing plan to sell their crap to anyone with a credit card and Paypal account to fix years down the road to a guy who moved to a State where if left stock would have coasted right through inspection. What did I leave out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts