Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i need your advice, whether to install TRD Cold Air Intake, which adds 15 HP. would it make any difference to the car performance? and would it consume more benzene? btw, i use unleaded 95 octane benzene.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hell yea it will! It really brings the engine to life in the late gears. It drastically helped my manual 6spd FJ in gears 4-6 on the highway trying to pass people. Id say its a must have for any FJ owner. It also helped my gas mileage aswell. Id say runninf 95 octane is way over kill. I run 89 & everything is all good.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
it is sweet. You'll love it. You may want to change the filter out to a dry type. Perhaps I'm being ignorant and thinking stereotypically, but I'm guessing there is a lot of sand where you are located? Oiled filters can be problematic in those conditions as they can clog up quickly. Plus if you overoil them, you get crap all over the inside of the tubes. A snorkel may be something to consider in your area as well. Drawing in air from a higher, cleaner location will help. If it is super dusty or you will be doing any caravan traveling, you can stick a precleaner on the snorkel or just stick a sock type filter over the snorkel head. There are so many options and aftermarket mods available for the FJ its crazy. Have fun!

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
I am looking to FINALLY do the CAI too. I have friends here in NOLA (Hurricanes) that have it and LOVE it. They make fun of me because I have not done the mod....They love me too... I would say really take a look at the forum and if you have any questions ask Layonn... he has done his and LOVES it!

Kim

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Looks like they can be had for around $345 new.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Hi,

i need your advice, whether to install TRD Cold Air Intake, which adds 15 HP. would it make any difference to the car performance? and would it consume more benzene? btw, i use unleaded 95 octane benzene.
If anything it will help conserve the petro!! Less restriction = more HP which =more MPG!! I just wish more people would buy them to get the cost down so I can buy one at a better price!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If anything it will help conserve the petro!! Less restriction = more HP which =more MPG!! I just wish more people would buy them to get the cost down so I can buy one at a better price!!!:bigthumb:
x2, you and me both!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I went with the Airaid, I was hoping it would be louder and may switch to the TRD. What worries me is reading a couple of stories of having the tube fall off while driving.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Are they really loud?

I don't want loud. Performance? OK. Loud? Not.
I have driven with several buddies that have this mod and I can't tell to much difference! I have the TRD 2" pipe header upgrade and It has increased the loud!! Can't wait to get CAI to enhance the overall performance. If you don't like loud just keep the windows up and the stereo maxxed:lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have driven with several buddies that have this mod and I can't tell to much difference! I have the TRD 2" pipe header upgrade and It has increased the loud!! Can't wait to get CAI to enhance the overall performance. If you don't like loud just keep the windows up and the stereo maxxed:lol:

I've got one in the box but I'm not sure where to have it installed. I can't do it myself, that's for sure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I went with the Airaid, I was hoping it would be louder and may switch to the TRD. What worries me is reading a couple of stories of having the tube fall off while driving.
Funny you mention this , just went out trail blazing with Chris2. His tube came apart setting the mass air flow sensor off and shutting His rig down! Lucky for him someone on the ride found the problem Quickly and we finished the trails! Be aware of this problem and you can easily get going again!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Funny you mention this , just went out trail blazing with Chris2. His tube came apart setting the mass air flow sensor off and shutting His rig down! Lucky for him someone on the ride found the problem Quickly and we finished the trails! Be aware of this problem and you can easily get going again!

What?! The thing just falls apart?!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I've got one in the box but I'm not sure where to have it installed. I can't do it myself, that's for sure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Why not? It's a simple install, trust me. I have always been reluctant to try!! The fear of screwing up is offset by the joy of suceeding! You can Install It!!:cheers:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
What?! The thing just falls apart?!
It seems the clamp and the way the other part is bolted to the fender well, When you flex the body the tube seems to pop out of place setting the sensor off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why not? It's a simple install, trust me. I have always been reluctant to try!! The fear of screwing up is offset by the joy of suceeding! You can Install It!!:cheers:

Doesn't it require a torquewrench?

I don't have one, nor do I know how to use one.

I agree with you, doing it yourself is the way to go...if you can.

I bought the thing and now I'm hearing all kinds of horror stories. OY!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts