Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
If you use the instructions, and supplement them with forum install threads, you should be fine.

A torque wrench might help, but I honestly didn't use one to install my aFe.

I've never had my tube pop off but I have also heard of this. I think having the TBS installed might help though because you get more grip with the rubber connectors.

Those of you wanting to pay a little less should consider the aFe intake. It is the same as the TRD when you put in the optional plug, and aFe makes the TRD. You also get to choose a filter, with TRD you are stuck with the Standard no matter what.

I will likely have another group buy at the end of the month. :)

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
If you use the instructions, and supplement them with forum install threads, you should be fine.

A torque wrench might help, but I honestly didn't use one to install my aFe.

I've never had my tube pop off but I have also heard of this. I think having the TBS installed might help though because you get more grip with the rubber connectors.

Those of you wanting to pay a little less should consider the aFe intake. It is the same as the TRD when you put in the optional plug, and aFe makes the TRD. You also get to choose a filter, with TRD you are stuck with the Standard no matter what.

I will likely have another group buy at the end of the month. :)

:cheers:
Group Buy! Hope I can get on board this time!:)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
it is sweet. You'll love it. You may want to change the filter out to a dry type. Perhaps I'm being ignorant and thinking stereotypically, but I'm guessing there is a lot of sand where you are located? Oiled filters can be problematic in those conditions as they can clog up quickly. Plus if you overoil them, you get crap all over the inside of the tubes. A snorkel may be something to consider in your area as well. Drawing in air from a higher, cleaner location will help. If it is super dusty or you will be doing any caravan traveling, you can stick a precleaner on the snorkel or just stick a sock type filter over the snorkel head. There are so many options and aftermarket mods available for the FJ its crazy. Have fun!
True, it's dusty here especially in summer time, i will keep your advice in mind. Thanks :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
check Toyota Racing Development for TRD parts. i have no idea if there is any other manufacturer.
There are many aftermarket intakes out there. AFE brand CAI is the same s the TRD except there is an additional hole in the engine bay, but you can get a plug for it. Watch for FJoel's group buys! I have my AFE TBS and CAI and JBA exhaust on the way from FJoel!

·
Registered
94 Posts
The TRD is loud which I personally love. And if you install it right it won't fall apart.
How loud is it? Does it make it difficult to listen to quiet music?

Should I put it on myself? I am good at assembling things, but this is an automobile and I have zero experience working on autos.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
How loud is it? Does it make it difficult to listen to quiet music?

Should I put it on myself? I am good at assembling things, but this is an automobile and I have zero experience working on autos.
Only loud at wide open throttle, and yes install it yourself. It is very easy, as far as problems I have wheeled hard with mine and never had any problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Only loud at wide open throttle, and yes install it yourself. It is very easy, as far as problems I have wheeled hard with mine and never had any problems.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's a very easy install for anyone with even a little mechanical experience. You can get by without a torque wrench, but it's a good tool to have and they are not all that expensive. You will need one that is calibrated in inch/lbs for the smaller bolts you will encounter. The foot/lb big wrenches are designed for the larger nuts and bolts and not suitable for the smaller stuff. Recruit a helper who has some auto experience if you can. Get some beer and get 'er done!

And yes, it's loud when you put your foot in it. Otherwise you will barely notice it if at all. I personally enjoy the growl.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's a very easy install for anyone with even a little mechanical experience. You can get by without a torque wrench, but it's a good tool to have and they are not all that expensive. You will need one that is calibrated in inch/lbs for the smaller bolts you will encounter. The foot/lb big wrenches are designed for the larger nuts and bolts and not suitable for the smaller stuff. Recruit a helper who has some auto experience if you can. Get some beer and get 'er done!

And yes, it's loud when you put your foot in it. Otherwise you will barely notice it if at all. I personally enjoy the growl.

Thank you. That helps. I'll do it tomorrow! :cheers:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Does the TRD CAI actually increase performance? Is it noticable?

thanks

21 - 40 of 100 Posts