Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Does the TRD CAI actually increase performance? Is it noticable?

thanks
Yes and NO! Just what you wanted to hear I am sure. Somewhere TRD has done a dyno test on the CAI and it's supposed to give you the additional 15 hp. The downside is that most of this power is at WOT or at least in the upper RPM range. Under average normal driving conditions it doesn't do much at all. I would expect to see a little better gas mileage with a less restrictive intake, but that will likely be more than offset by you punching it more just to hear the engine growl. It's a fun noisemaker which provides the illusion of a power increase and best of all, it's expensive!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
it is sweet. You'll love it. You may want to change the filter out to a dry type. Perhaps I'm being ignorant and thinking stereotypically, but I'm guessing there is a lot of sand where you are located? Oiled filters can be problematic in those conditions as they can clog up quickly. Plus if you overoil them, you get crap all over the inside of the tubes. A snorkel may be something to consider in your area as well. Drawing in air from a higher, cleaner location will help. If it is super dusty or you will be doing any caravan traveling, you can stick a precleaner on the snorkel or just stick a sock type filter over the snorkel head. There are so many options and aftermarket mods available for the FJ its crazy. Have fun!
i have ordered the TRD CAI, and i'm going to install it at Toyota dealer as my mechanical knowledge is perfect (lair!!:mecry:)

should i mention what you have said above to them? do you have any other advices?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes and NO! Just what you wanted to hear I am sure. Somewhere TRD has done a dyno test on the CAI and it's supposed to give you the additional 15 hp. The downside is that most of this power is at WOT or at least in the upper RPM range. Under average normal driving conditions it doesn't do much at all. I would expect to see a little better gas mileage with a less restrictive intake, but that will likely be more than offset by you punching it more just to hear the engine growl. It's a fun noisemaker which provides the illusion of a power increase and best of all, it's expensive!:cheers:
would you please explain more about WOT?

·
Registered
393 Posts
WOT=wide open throttle

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
WOT=wide open throttle
i know catt, what i meant is what's the wide open throttle, i looked up in the dictionary but i didn't get the mechanical meaning. when do i reach WOT or how do i reach WOT? is there a certain point for WOT? mind my mechanical knowledge :rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
In the 'old' days, when the accelerator pedal was mechanically attached to the carburetor or throttle body, as soon as you planted the accelerator on the floorboard, you were at WOT. It didn't matter what the engine speed was,you had the throttle plate wide open as far as it could go.

Today with drive-by-wire technology, you tell the accelerator what you want to do, and the ECM decides when it's best to completely open the throttle plate, based on engine temp, rpm, closed loop, load, emissions, etc....

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
In the 'old' days, when the accelerator pedal was mechanically attached to the carburetor or throttle body, as soon as you planted the accelerator on the floorboard, you were at WOT. It didn't matter what the engine speed was,you had the throttle plate wide open as far as it could go.

Today with drive-by-wire technology, you tell the accelerator what you want to do, and the ECM decides when it's best to completely open the throttle plate, based on engine temp, rpm, closed loop, load, emissions, etc....

DEWFPO
Thanks DEWFPO for the explanation.

kick down is considered WOT? how can i figure out that i'm at WOT? last question, does CAI increase fuel consumption or does it enhance it?

thank you :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ha 15 HP....no way...anyone dynoed?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I have not seen dyno results yet, but, you can definitely feel a difference with passing power.

No difference IMO from a stop, but on the freeway, it works.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Thanks DEWFPO for the explanation.

kick down is considered WOT? how can i figure out that i'm at WOT? last question, does CAI increase fuel consumption or does it enhance it?

thank you :)
"kickdown" is a loosely used term in automotive parlance that typically does not mean WOT.

Typically when someone says 'kick it down', they mean step on the accelerator hard enough for an automatic transmissioned car to drop at least 1 gear ratio. Say from 4th gear to 3rd or 2nd gear.

My father used to always use the term 'kick it down into passing gear' when he was on the highway. He used to actually think that automatics had a 'special' gear called 'passing gear'. This was back in the days when automatic transmissions typically had 3 speeds. I tried to tell him that all he was doing was pushing the throttle linkage enough to cause the transmission 'kickdown' linkage that was attached to it cause the transmission to drop into a lower gear, normally second (in those days). I don't think I ever convinced him.

I hope all my jibberish make sense.

The only way to tell if your at WOT is to have a ScanGauge or similar attached to the OBDII port and see what the throttle plate position is indicating.

Your FJ already has a CAI. What most aftermarket CAI's add is a smoother flow and less restrictive filter so that air can get into the engine faster and with less friction. That helps the engine breath. Primarily throttle position is what controls the air and hence the amount of fuel that's injected.

At higher engine rpm's, if the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get air in, you could use less throttle opening and hence gain a little mpg (theoretically), but there are more factors involved.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
"kickdown" is a loosely used term in automotive parlance that typically does not mean WOT.

Typically when someone says 'kick it down', they mean step on the accelerator hard enough for an automatic transmissioned car to drop at least 1 gear ratio. Say from 4th gear to 3rd or 2nd gear.

My father used to always use the term 'kick it down into passing gear' when he was on the highway. He used to actually think that automatics had a 'special' gear called 'passing gear'. This was back in the days when automatic transmissions typically had 3 speeds. I tried to tell him that all he was doing was pushing the throttle linkage enough to cause the transmission 'kickdown' linkage that was attached to it cause the transmission to drop into a lower gear, normally second (in those days). I don't think I ever convinced him.

I hope all my jibberish make sense.

The only way to tell if your at WOT is to have a ScanGauge or similar attached to the OBDII port and see what the throttle plate position is indicating.

Your FJ already has a CAI. What most aftermarket CAI's add is a smoother flow and less restrictive filter so that air can get into the engine faster and with less friction. That helps the engine breath. Primarily throttle position is what controls the air and hence the amount of fuel that's injected.

At higher engine rpm's, if the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get air in, you could use less throttle opening and hence gain a little mpg (theoretically), but there are more factors involved.

DEWFPO
thank you for the explanation :) i got the idea now :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
i would like to order TRD performance exhaust online, could somebody help me in that? i just need the exact part number (i found more than one) and which online store?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Sparks Toyota got that thing to Saudi Arabia in a day??? Man that's customer service bro!!
no alden, i ordered it through Toyota deal here in Jeddah, and was installed by them. FJ cruiser was introduced to the Saudi market this year only and it's manufactured in Japan not in US. therefore i'm afraid some parts would not parts wouldnt fit Japanese made FJ (could anyone help me in that? is there any major differences?). unfortunately they dont have the accessories, especially performance ones like the exhaust. i'll order the exhaust from Sparks, the shipping will cost me around $330 :mecry: via a third party shipper. international shipping from US to Jeddah will cost much more.

Anyway, i have finally installed the CAI. the engine tune is different and i liked it, i still have to test the engine performance :wave:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that all FJ's are manufactured in Japan.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I remember reading somewhere that all FJ's are manufactured in Japan.
the cargo cover and cargo net dont fit the FJ here, does the subwoofer has anything to do with it? the FJ in US comes with as subwoofer as well, or as an upgrade package. anyway, i'll look it up, thanks Catt :)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
i have installed and tested TRD CAI, i loved it and i'm satisfied with it, especially when i take-off from 0 to 120km - A/C off - on the 2nd gear :D what a lovely tune!! :rawr::rawr::rawr:

i would like to thank eveyone whom has helped me in this issue, i really do appreciate your help :bigthumb:

41 - 60 of 100 Posts