Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was planning on adding the TRD cat-back exhaust ($341 online), but when I picked up the FJ, I was pleased at the stock engine sounds and exhaust note.

Anyone who has a TRD or has driven both... please comment on how loud and whether or not you think it adds $341 of pleasure.... :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I test drove one yesterday with the TRD which I thought I would want. I have to say, it was a bit too noticable on the HWY. I have not heard the stock, but if it sounds pretty good, I think I would go with it.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Pancho is going to love this.

If I had it to do over again I would pass on the TRD. It does sound good but I don't like where the pipe exits. In my defence Pancho, the issue of the TRD and 4 Wheeling came up after my truck hit port. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
FJFlorida said:
I test drove one yesterday with the TRD which I thought I would want. I have to say, it was a bit too noticable on the HWY. I have not heard the stock, but if it sounds pretty good, I think I would go with it.
what to you mean by noticable, to loud inside the cabin even with the windows up?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FJFlorida said:
THANK YOU! That's what I was worried about. The stock configuration growls nicely and noticeably...

The Corvette has a nice system where it flips a valve to make the exhaust a straight pipe at wide-open-throttle (e.g. LOUD), but relatively quiet when loafing around. Audi S4 has something like that as well.

Looks like chrome tailpipe finisher for me instead. :D

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm confused...was the question answered? Is the TRD exhaust worth the $341. Or is the louder growl worth the $341. Would some find it annoying? Just wondering...

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I had it up to 75-80 I was trying to get an idae of road noise (not that things like that normally bother me). When I could get the salesman to shut up, the TRD was very noticable. Not bad, but noticable. If the radio was on on probably would not have been a problem. I would say that on a 2-3 hr road trip with wife and son, It would get a bit old.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i'd pass on the exhaust. the Stock one has a very nice growl. Its sooo good that it eliminates that leaking exhaust sound the engine makes. 3hp aint gonna make a huge difference either lol.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I drove both the stock at a dealer and ended up getting my FJ Friday with the TRD. If I could do it all over again I would still get the TRD because it really does a good job of making the FJ sounder meaner. Also a friend with a Tundra is now out looking to get the TRD exhaust because my 6 sounds better than his 8 in the Tundra :) Besides with all the Chevy trucks out there the Toyota owners need to step up and start making noise......

·
Banned
133 Posts
ckit said:
Was planning on adding the TRD cat-back exhaust ($341 online), but when I picked up the FJ, I was pleased at the stock engine sounds and exhaust note.

Anyone who has a TRD or has driven both... please comment on how loud and whether or not you think it adds $341 of pleasure.... :D
My question would be what does it do? If it just makes more noise, then it's a glorified kazoo, and I can't see any justification for adding it.

Most cat-back systems don't really do much - in my opinon - because they're exactly what they say they are: cat back. In order to make more power, you've got to move more air through the engine. That means sucking more air in, and blowing it out. As exciting as a cat back system is, the Achilles Heel to the whole thing is that you're not increasing the diameter of the catalytic converter inlet or outlet, therefore, you cannot improve the performance in any significant way, other than hoping that the muffler is a bit more free flow than stock.

To improve the system, you have change how you bring air into the engine (which means a different air filter element or system), and how you expel the used gases (which means headers, a larger diameter cat, and larger diameter exhaust all the way back - not just from the catalytic converter.

Anything other than that, you might as well just go HERE.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
On that note, I will be adding a K&N filter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
meat said:
My question would be what does it do? If it just makes more noise, then it's a glorified kazoo, and I can't see any justification for adding it.

Most cat-back systems don't really do much - in my opinon - because they're exactly what they say they are: cat back. In order to make more power, you've got to move more air through the engine. That means sucking more air in, and blowing it out. As exciting as a cat back system is, the Achilles Heel to the whole thing is that you're not increasing the diameter of the catalytic converter inlet or outlet, therefore, you cannot improve the performance in any significant way, other than hoping that the muffler is a bit more free flow than stock.

To improve the system, you have change how you bring air into the engine (which means a different air filter element or system), and how you expel the used gases (which means headers, a larger diameter cat, and larger diameter exhaust all the way back - not just from the catalytic converter.

Your pal,
Meat.

Agreed, before anybody buys the cat back for a performance increase they should take a peek underneath and check out the flattened out section of the crossover pipe under the engine. This is already restrictive and judging by the marks already on mine will get worse if not protected.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Geo said:
Agreed, before anybody buys the cat back for a performance increase they should take a peek underneath and check out the flattened out section of the crossover pipe under the engine. This is already restrictive and judging by the marks already on mine will get worse if not protected.
Same on the Tacoma. I forget how it is on the FJ, but I know on the Tacoma it looks like they could have easily moved the crossover further back and tucked it out of the way more. Wish there was room for a dual exhaust...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
meat said:

Your pal,
Meat.
On top of the above post increasing the diameter of the exhaust could lead to loss of torque. Im NOT saying the TRD has a larger diameter just saying it may. Bigger is not better in this situation.
Horsepower gains are nice but not when you sacrafice torque.

On the other hand it sounds pretty nice in my opinion. When I drove it it was a subtle throaty sounding exhaust not too loud not too quiet.

Either way to know for sure if torque will be lost you would have to dyno test it.
The losses are probably minimal. For that matter the gains in HP are probably pretty skinny too.

By the way you can buy one of these fine exhaust at www.trdsource.com:D

·
Banned
133 Posts
trdsource said:
On top of the above post increasing the diameter of the exhaust could lead to loss of torque. Im NOT saying the TRD has a larger diameter just saying it may. Bigger is not better in this situation.
Horsepower gains are nice but not when you sacrafice torque.

On the other hand it sounds pretty nice in my opinion. When I drove it it was a subtle throaty sounding exhaust not too loud not too quiet.

Either way to know for sure if torque will be lost you would have to dyno test it.
The losses are probably minimal. For that matter the gains in HP are probably pretty skinny too.

By the way you can buy one of these fine exhaust at www.trdsource.com:D
Absolutely true and correct; there is a point of diminishing returns, and - especially on an off-road truck - you should never sacrifice horsepower for torque.

When you start thinking about changing things, make sure it's done right. Use professionals who know what they're doing and will steer you in the right direction. Y'know...people like those found at www.trdsource.com ;)

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The addition of a hi-flow cat might net a few more HP, there are a few that are "technically" street legal. This would make the TRD somewhat more useful. However all in all. I think the exhaust is more about style (the sound and looks) than performance, unless youre souping up the HP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
meat said:
Most cat-back systems don't really do much - in my opinon - Meat.
Shhh, don't tell my Cobra that! 26.8rwhp from just a cat-back. 28rwhp from just a Cold Air Intake. I know you'll note that its supercharged and that is why, but my Magnum SRT-8 (sold) gained 24rwhp with just a cat-back as well.

I've learned over the years of too many fast cars/trucks that you honestly have to have it dyno'd (or see others dyno sheets for proof) to see what kind of numbers something puts down. I put a Flowmaster (choke-master) on my old F150 just for the noise (deep, burbly) and it was well worth it even if it gained zero HP.

Really, don't ever base your decisions on a cat-back by words on a Forum. If you want one, the only way is to listen to one while driving. To one person it may be too loud, to another it may not be loud enough.

Now someone hurry up and dyno the TRD! By the way, where is it online for $341???

·
Registered
10 Posts
we got an FJ in with the TRD exhaust on it and I don't really think there's much difference in the sound level compared to say, a Tacoma V6. I can say it sounds good though. It may have better flow characteristics to improve performance though. When I drove it I was suprised at how quiet it was inside and a SOLID FEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
We also got the exhaust. It just sounds great, almost as good as our Mustang GT. It takes it from sounding like a 6 and really sounds like a well tuned 8. As far as power I'll be happy (love to) Dyno if anyone in the SLC area wants to donate the time and equipment. I think there are only a few good machines around the valley. It would sure put this question to rest if we could post a dyno graph though.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
meat said:
Absolutely true and correct; there is a point of diminishing returns, and - especially on an off-road truck - you should never sacrifice horsepower for torque.

When you start thinking about changing things, make sure it's done right. Use professionals who know what they're doing and will steer you in the right direction. Y'know...people like those found at www.trdsource.com ;)

Your pal,
Meat.
Did'nt you mean torque for horsepower?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts